Hello

Jeremie

Reefing newb
Hi, my name is Jeremie and I live in the Florida panhandle area. Living on the Gulf of Mexico and fishing/snorkeling constantly has peeked my interest in the beauty of saltwater aquariums. I decided to put on my wet-suit and dive in so I have been scouring the internet for information and that has lead me to this wonderful site. I decided to join because I believe the best piece of equipment you can acquire in this hobby is knowledge and I really like the personality of this site. I'm completely new and will probably ask some dumb questions but I've already read tons of posts and even managed to find the search function so I hope I can minimize the newb within. Anyways I picked up some items to get started, nothing to fancy but something I can learn with and enjoy for a long time:

45 gallon pre-drilled cube
Reef Breeders superlux LEDS
Hydor Koralia 425 circulation pump (which I may get one a little stronger later)
Trigger Ruby Sump - Cube (still need a light/rock for the refugium)
Reef Octopus 110 space saver skimmer
And a 320gph return pump to get things going but I'm looking into an EHEIM 1260

Add
26 lbs Fiji premium live rock
18 lbs Indo live rock
15 lbs Fiji pink arag-alive reef sand
Reef Crystal salt mixed with RO/DI
and started the cycle

It took me a while to get a test kit so I didn't test the water for about 6 days and everything was 0 ppm PH was 8.0 and temp 75 degrees (which is when I realized I forgot a heater). Everything looked nice and clear and perfect, nothing I was expecting so back to the forums. I read that some use shrimp or fish food to introduce ammonia so I found some shrimp pellets laying around (that I knew would sink and sit in tank) and dropped a handful in 2 days ago. Yesterday ammonia was still 0 ppm and I haven't tested today yet. I'm pretty patient in my old age so no biggie I'm going to read and wait till something changes and gives me some indication things are moving along. Anyways I've rambled on long enough, I look forward to sharing my first reef tank experience with you all.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the site!

Yep, you did the right thing and added some pellets to start the cycle.

Don't be to worried about doing something wrong. That is the down side to the hobby, everyone (including myself) gets stuck in their ways. It is a very simple hobby once looking back, don't get me wrong, I'd never want to start over. :-)

Everything in my set up is constant and I haven't tested anything for about 2 months or so? It is so much easier once you're fully stocked and stop adjusting things, it kinda goes in auto pilot!

Good luck in the adventure, what are you planning fowlr ( fish only with live rock) or reef style set up?

Yep, I should go rather quick one you see a spike. 2 weeks or less!
Do not change any water or do anything. Leave it be!

What is you stock plan?

Have you decided what type of coral?

What is you stock plan?
Have you decided what type of coral?

No idea on stock plan, probably 2 clownfish a goby and 1 other that I have lots of time to choose. Will stick to 4 small fish.
As far as corals I'm still a little over-whelmed trying to figure out all the names and what they need. I'm thinking of just starting with a few mushrooms. Something my clownfish will like while I get educated on others and develope a plan.

No idea on stock plan, probably 2 clownfish a goby and 1 other that I have lots of time to choose. Will stick to 4 small fish.
As far as corals I'm still a little over-whelmed trying to figure out all the names and what they need. I'm thinking of just starting with a few mushrooms. Something my clownfish will like while I get educated on others and develope a plan.

Starting with mushrooms is a good idea. They are easy to keep and don't require much light. I have the Reef Breeders Photon 24 and am able to keep SPS corals under it at 70% power. So, if you wanted to try some easy LPS corals like a frogspawn (my clown hosted my frogspawn) or hammer you shouldn't have any issues.

Back