Help! 911

when LFS checked the tank today they said all the levels were good. Would the anemone dying cause those levels to rise that much?

I could see it causing the ammonia spike but, I don't think it should have spiked your nitrates like that

No, it wouldn't have spiked nitrates that quickly. Either your LFS was using a bad test kit, you are using a bad test kit, or your LFS lied to you. Nitrates at 60 would have killed an anemone FAST. And I'm guessing the ammonia spike is due to the dead anemone.

Sean sorry to hear of all your troubles. I'd do a 25 % water change, run carbon in a canister filter and get a new LFS. Hope your Tang makes it. :x:

Unfortunately, I don't have the supplies to do a water change. Will get them though ASAP. On way to Walmart now :)

I'll bet that Tang pulls through, looks like he's relatively healthy. Make sure you call the LFS and thank them for killing your tank. They should at least give you back your money for that nem, especially with them at your tank the same day and said it was all good to go. I hate when people screw a customer...why not just ask you for a donation to help thier business? I'd be in there yelling like crazy so all the other customers could hear it, especially on a busy Saturday. make sure you laugh at them when they tell you NOT to listen to people on the internet for tank advice, like we could gain from telling you the wrong thing...

I really don't think the LFS meant any harm. The people have always been extremely nice and not too pushy. I will call them and let them know. It is the only LFS within about 100 miles.

The tang gets easily stressed; she acted real funny when the tank was moved. I'll make sure to feed her some seaweed.

I have replaced all the filters in my emperor (that's 4) and went to wally world and got 4 additional carbon filters, not made for the emperor and stuffed them in there. Then I have two additional hanging in the tank close to powerheads. Basically, 10 carbon filters.

A close friend of mine said he thinks the tang will be good too. The baby yellow tang is doing great swimming around everywhere! It's sad that nem is gone so fast.

What about the feather duster? Any hope for it?

Last edited:
feather duster lose their crown when they are stressed. It is most likely in the tube without its crown.

it will grow back and pop out in a few weeks.

Good morning all :)

After staring at my tank until 2 am, I'm awake from only a few hours of sleep. The yellow tang seems well adapted no problems. I don't see anymore pieces of the anemone anywhere in the tank. The water is crystal clear. The feather duster still has its crown and has been out all night.

The blue tang- as always, she's not a morning fish (and does not typically come out from behind the LR) but she did look and swim MUCH BETTER than last night. I'm sure when my lights kick on at 1, she'll be swimming and feeling better. Going to feed her some seaweed.

Any other advice? :)

Thanks!!!!

That's awesome! The best you can do at this point is continue with water changes and make sure the fish are eating. It also won't hurt to soak their food in garlic extract before feeding.

Awesome! Yeah, definitely do NOT jump on a decision unless you've done at least basic research. The LFS being nice is find and dandy, but in the end, they're still about making money. My LFS is the same -- awesome group of folk, extremely knowledgeable, and usually don't steer me in the wrong direction except a couple of times when I could have had cheaper alternatives to certain choices....but in the end, you still have to rely on your own resources.

Keep us posted with pics!! Man, if your tangs make it through this, they're a tough couple!

Back