help a noob out

Yeah me too because I'm pretty sure the glass I have in the 125 is shot. Nothing has gotten it clean. I even took one of the lids to the glass shop today and they tried to buff it with cerium oxide and it wouldn't come out. If I have to make do with it I will, but as much money as I've dumped in it so far and the amount I have yet to dump in to it, I'd like to have crystal clear tank lol.

Knucklehead,
So wet the newspaper with saltwater and wrap the rock? That definitely sounds easier and less messy than transporting a trash can full of water lol. And it would keep me out of the dog house with the wife, I can only imagine what she would have to say if I sloshed saltwater all over her Expedition lol

Last edited:
yeah sorry about that knucklehead, I was in another forum site and was talking to a guy named saltee lol. I tried to correct it but you caught me before I could :-)
Thanks for the advice.

Dechlorinated tap water still will have lots of things in it that you don't want to be putting in your tank -- phosphates, nitrates and heavy metals. Using dechlorinated tap water usually leads to algae problems that you just can't beat. Plus, dechlorinators make your protein skimmer go haywire, so you won't be able to use a protein skimmer for a lot of the time your tank is running.

You can get a good RODI unit for around $100 from P U R E W A T E R C L U B. That's where I got mine, and I always recommend them.

Alternatively, you can buy RO water at any grocery store or Walmart. Some have dispensers where you bring your own containers to fill, and they all sell it bottled (it will say prepared using reverse osmosis on the label).

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! However all of my problems may be solved, as I was just on craigslist looking for a pump when I came across a guy selling a reef ready 125 complete with lights, stand, live rock, sand and live stock for 400! I'm going to go look at it tomorrow and if it's gravy I'm going to buy it since my sump, pump and live rock would be more than that anyways. The guy says he has over 2300 invested in it and is moving. He's had it listed for a few weeks, he started off at 1000 and has come down to four.

How would you transport the live rock? I am guessing rubbermaid trash cans full of tank water. And as far as the livestock goes styrofoam coolers???
You can put the rock in anything that holds water. I have used my igloo, buckets, and plastic rubbermaid tubs in the past. Just like KH said, use a towel or paper to keep them damp while you drive.

Got another question. Do I HAVE to have a RODI unit or can I get by with dechlorinated tap water?
DO NOT USE TAP!!!! you can get water in front of most grocery stores, or even wal-mart if you don't want to get your own RODI system but tap is potentially the biggest mistake you can make. Most LFS sell water too so you should be able to find good water without too much trouble. The dechlorinator does just that, removes chlorine, it doesn't however, remove heavy metals or other contaminants. You will NEVER get rid of your algae if you choose to go with tap. I am speaking from experience. The first LFS I got advice from sold me a jug of dechlorinator and promised me I was good...

Ok, now for the really stupid noob question. How does the RODI work? I understand the basic concept, but what does it mean when they say 50 gallons a day? Is this something you leave on with a float switch and let it fill up a tank?

Ok, now for the really stupid noob question. How does the RODI work? I understand the basic concept, but what does it mean when they say 50 gallons a day? Is this something you leave on with a float switch and let it fill up a tank?
get the 100gpd it should make enough water that you can start it, sit down to your favorite show or eat a snack and have your water done by the time you are finished. You could use a float if you want to get more advanced. I just start mine in my mixing tank and check it till it's full.

I pump RO water into an old salt bucket. Thats 6 gallons of RO water that I use for top-offs during the week.

I have another salt bucket that I keep new saltwater in. On Sunday, I siphon old water out of the tank and rinse any sponges out in there. Then dump the water down the drain. Then I take my fresh saltwater thats been sitting in the 6g bucket and fill the tank up again. Then take the empty saltwater bucket to the sink and fill it with fresh RO water. Set it back under the stand and put the salt crystals in. It sits there with a pump and heater for a week to mix and stabilize. Last, I fill my RO bucket up for the coming weeks top-offs.

It takes 2 old salt buckets that are clean. One for RO and one for saltwater. I have one "black" bucket that only gets used to drain the tanks and dump down the drain.

To fill buckets, I just open the valves to supply the water to the RO unit - then plug in my pump. It takes about 1.5hrs to fill a 6g bucket to the top. My RO unit is rated at 96g per day. Thats about 4g per hour.

Just another small fun fact about these RO units, the amount of water they produce will be heavily impacted by the water pressure to your house. Despite what any of us say, or the claims they make on the manufacturers site, your production could be quite a bit more or less than stated because of your local water pressure.

Yup. Mine didn't work worth a darn until I bought a booster pump and a pressure gauge. My water pressure is 25psi. The booster pump takes it up to about 58psi.

I have actually timed and measured mine. With the booster pump it does right at 4gph - which is what it's rated to produce. (4 x 24hrs = 96g per day) Without the booster pump it was only doing about 6g per DAY.

Good to know, thank you for the info. I'm going to have my buddy (union plumber) come over and test my psi tomorrow. I found one on craigslist for 50 bucks and I think he'll install it for me for a 12 pack. :-)

If I recall, They require at a minimum 40psi to operate but don't go raising your pressure through the roof without also considering the age, type, and quality of your pipes as you may find yourself with some EXPENSIVE plumbing repairs if you over do it.

You can raise your house water pressure by turning the adjustment knob on the water meter.

But as Justin already said - you can't raise it too high or you'll blow out all the seals in the faucets and toilets. Then you'll be leaking water down the drains all the time.

Best way to test your water pressure - buy the water pressure gauge and a few adapters. Screw it right to the faucet and turn on the cold water. Instant reading without tearing apart any of the plumbing under the sink. :Cheers:

Yeah that's why I'm having my buddy do it. If I did it I'm sure I would turn the basement into a 400,000 gallon aquarium and have to call the coast guard. I actually remodel homes and do all the work myself, but I HATE plumbing. Kinda works out great when your best friend is a plumber lol

I grew up in Kansas City, KS. DOTTE boy here! 22nd & Central Avenue - about 2 miles South of the projects over in Quindaro.

........................ but don't hold it against me. I'm much more refined and sophistocated now. :mrgreen:

The rest of you......

SHADDUP!! :lol:

Back