help brown stuff in my tank

bongpa

Reefing newb
help i have tons of brown stuff on the bottom of my tank it looks like alge i don't know. i have a 150 gal tank with 50 pounds of LS, 40 pounds of cc i have 2 power heads and 2-110 aquaclear filters. Yea i know its crapy filters but it will do for now. My tank has been running for 1 week now and I only have fake things in there to make tank pretty. What is wrong with my tank? all water readings are good! Please help :frustrat:

your system is starting a cycle and is not yet balanced. you are experiancing a normal part of the cycling process of a new system setup. you need to make sure your nitrates are below 5ppm, no amonia, no nitrites, no silica, add a couple astea star snails. not many just a half dozen or so. and be patient. let the system cycle. you did not say what you have put in the tank if anything, your lighting system, and complete filtration system, do you have a protien skimmer?, what is your salinity, alkalinity, and do you add anything to the tank currently. good luck let us know. do not add any bioload at this time your system has not cycled or balanced. hope something here helps.

HI,
Sounds like your tank is stil cycling have you measure phos, most algae problems are either part of that breakin, or you have added phos to the tank thru sand, dead algae, food not washed, I have tried using phos pillows it may help, with more frequent water changes, when the algae die you'll get more phos this can start up the algae chain again,
I built a 20 gal sand sump out of a old tankput in a few of those bristle worms. and put a good skimmer and water quality hs gone up, and bad things are moving down .
Just a thought, I am very new to this saltwater thing.
Doug:sfish:

Here's a neat animation of that break in cycle only fix is to wait don't add animals and let the nitrogen cycle run its course .. My tanks only about 6 wks old and its starting to come out of the brown to light green.
About.com: http://reefsources.itgo.com/guide/biological.html

Last edited:
Back