HELP Dead tank

RFD

Reefing newb
My tank is dead at least I think so I woke up and my Anemone is dead, A fish died, I think my sun coral is gone. The tank is only 6 weeks old, temp 78, ph 8.0, ammonia- 0, nitrite -.015, salinity - 31 ppl or 1.023

Xenia looks a little weak, two damsels still alive couple of dead snails! Live Eurchin

Does anyone have any suggestions

I am guessing it was the anemone. Once it dies it can wipe out the whole tank.

You should have never put it in such a young tank. They need at least a year old mature tank to survive in.

My 2 cents it was the anemone.

TAKE THE DEAD ANEMONE OUT IMMEDIATELY! you wont get ane better by taking it out but it will get not get worse. When an anemone dies n a tank it can completely wipe out your entire system. especially in a 14 gallon tank.

step 2: learn from your mistakes. You must learn that a 6 week old tank is not suitable for a anemone. You should not add one to a tank until its been setup for about a year. Otherwise they will be extremely unhappy and eventually usually die. Not trying to be the one to call you out here but you say you have had 10 years in the saltwater hobby? And you have not learned about these things yet?

All i know is you have a 14 gal biocube, what kind of lighs are on it? you need to shoot for at least 4-5 wpg when keeping a anemone low light and young system is pretty much guranteed failure unfortunately. I dont have a lot of great suggestions for your current situation aside from pulling out dead animals and doing an immidiate 50% water change. I hope you have some water ready and waiting. or at least can have some made up really fast. Even if it means you are not letting it mix up forever its better than the water you currently have in there at the time. I really hope you dont have a complete wipe out. hopefully some things will end up living. You will pretty much need to get things stable and start from the ground up again. sorry to hear you went through so much of a loss.

+1 stag....um, you been doing this 10 years? Not to be a jerk, but some of the questions you've been asking here are kind of odd for that kind of experience.

Pull the anemone out and smell it.Then flush the said anemone.
Anemone should never be kept in anything smaller than 75 gallon display IMO.And I'll go a step further and say they should NEVER be kept in a reef tank.
When anemones die,they release their nematocyst,several million of them,which float around the tank stinging everything they touch.
Sorry for the losses,but if I remember right,we warned you in another thread about what happens with anemones in a new tank.

Damn dude. Shoulda listened to Yote and the others when they told ya not to get a 'nem.

Better luck next time.

Sorry about your losses, but I have to say, I immediately thought of the other thread you started where pretty much everyone told you that adding an anemone was a recipe for disaster. There isn't much you can do now to fix things, your corals and other inverts are probably in pretty bad shape, if not irreversably bad shape. The damsel fish are tougher though, and may very well survive.

If I were you, I'd take out any dead things you can find, and start doing some water changes every day or every other day for the next week or so. I'd do about 1 to 2 gallons a day.

I don't think there's any way an anemone could survive in that tank, even if it was a year old. The lighting just is not strong enough. Live and learn -- at least you didn't lose thousands of dollars worth of corals to the anemone like Yote did :)

Thanks for your help and i meant that I have had fish tanks for 10 years not reefs or coral, This is my first attempt. You live and learn which is something I do well and that why I started small.

Enjoy your weekend

Its just a shame you had to learn the hard way. Though through life I as all of us have done it the hard way knowing better. Hopefully next time you will just trust experienced knowledge over lack of patients.

We've all done it. Thats why we get on people when they make the mistakes we have. When I started in this hobby the only people who we thought knew what they were doing was the fish store owners. We didnt have a forum like this to ask questions.

Very true, If only I knew what i know now when I was 17! Ah life would be great, Thank you for your support and help, Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

RFD

The xenia, birdnest, corrsette, fish, mean green, kenya all look fine. Am I missing something in the water testing (temp 78, ph 8.0, ammonia- 0, nitrite -.015, salinity - 31 ppl or 1.023).

If not maybe all is not lost but lesson learned.

Please explain or am I just going to the wrong store! I also took pictures Which I will post later this evening, If you don't mind taking a look.

Thanks again,

FYI Anemone Donated to another store (Had 2) Birdnest traded for more xenia. Tank purged - starting over again

The other members have already read you the riot act --but it also needs to be said that patience is the most important rule. I am a sort of impatient person but when it comes to this hobby, I am slow to do anything to the point of laziness. My new metal Halides have sitting in a closet for the last month. But its not a all a loss if you learned a good lesson from it!

Back