HELP, dying Hermits!

Big K

Reefing newb
Hey, Peoples.

I recently added an Emerald Crab, Porcelain Crab and a Sexy Shrimp to my reef. Yesterday morning I found the body of a blue leg hermit on the sand. This morning a scarlet hermit is dead on the sand on the opposite side of the tank. What's happening?

I have:

Yellow Tang
2 Chromis
Yellow tailed blue Damsel
Orange Clown
Black Clown
Engineer Goby
Fire Shrimp
Long spine Urchin
Emerald Crab
Porcelain Crab
Anemone Shrimp

Whodunnit?

Kinda sounds like they lost the competition for their shells. Any other crabs in your cuc that have removable shells?

Definitely bodies. Meat hanging out the back!

The only shelled CuC I have are the Hermits and Snails. I have one other Scarlet left and a Halloween. Plenty of empties laying around though.

My hermits just seem to want to kill each other and the snails even though they have plenty of empty shells to choose from. I have quarantined my remaining two hermits to the sump.

I think it might be a molt. The first time my hermits molted I started freaking out. It looked like the real thing with meat and all. But then a few days later I saw all of my hermits and figured out they were molts.

Yeah. I'm not sure how I'm so dumb, but they both molted. lol

I have spotted both of them in the tank today. Crisis averted!

I'm still using this as an excuse to get more crabs though. I love watching them wander around the rock.

Yes, I have a problem. lol

Thanks everyone, it's so cool to have somewhere to ask questions and get such quick and helpful advice!

If you only have 4 I would get more. But dont overdo it because then theres a food supply problem waiting to happen.

+1 on first molt witnesses. Gets everybody.

Yeah, I definitely want to get more. The LFS here though doesn't stock any of the more exotic ones. Just Scarlets and some plain brown ones.

He should be able to order whatever you want. Try asking him if he can get some in on his next delivery for you (Depending on the the difficulty of whatever you're asking him to locate will dictate how long it should take to get them in). In my 55 I have probably about 70-80 Hermits. LOVE them. I also throw pellets in every day for them (Larger shrimp pellets, not the formula one pellets). I also have a variety of different shells laying in the sand bed. Some laying on top, others buried by my diamond watchman haha. So, no worries, you aren't the only one who loves hermits :)

Shoot, if I had a dollar for everytime I freaked out over "dead crab bodies", I'd have enough to buy another tank LOL

Hmm, yeah I should really make an order, thanks Anthony! Most of my purchases tend to be of the " Oooooh look at THAT!" variety. Good thing I can research. From my phone/pad.

No problem, and if he is a good guy, he should order them without you paying for them first. Then, once he gets them in, be it Fish, Inverts, or Corals he should house them and allow you to look them over before you buy them. But yeah, if they can get any saltwater items, they can order anything they don't have already in the displays. Good luck! :)

My hermits just seem to want to kill each other and the snails even though they have plenty of empty shells to choose from. I have quarantined my remaining two hermits to the sump.

one of the hermits in my tank has gotten huge and he is just devouring all the little guys :shock:

Back