Help!! Female Clown is SICK

DEW

Reefing newb
Hi, I have a pair of false percula clowns and the female is ill. I thought that she had ich but am not sure now. I have her in QT and was treating the ich and the spots had gone away. As of today she has developed a "bubble" over one of her eyes and has a lighter patch over some of the scales near her head but no white spots anymore. Any ideas as to what this could be? What should I give her? Please help!!

Last edited:
The bubble over her eye sounds like popeye. This usually happens when they bump their head against something, or if they are caught in a net and their eyeball gets abraded. I'm guessing it happened when you moved her into the quarantine tank. Usually, popeye will go away on its own, with time. Sometimes, they will lose their eye. Other times, they starve to death because they can't feed with only one working eye.

I have a pajama cardinal that had popeye and recovered, although I think it is blind in the one eye. It still eats fine. I also have a damsel that had popeye just a couple weeks ago and recovered fine. As long as your clown is eating well, she should recover from the popeye.

As for the patches on her head, can you post a picture for us? It will help us figure out what's going on.

I cannot get a good picture of the spot but I will try to describe it. It is behind her first white stripe and look almost like if your were peeling from a sunburn, it is on both sides and close to her head. I know this pic wont help but it shows the location.

Also, she has not been eating. I have tried several different foods and she is not interested...maybe she cant find it??

Thanks for your help!

I have some garlic and have been soaking mysis shrimp in it and she is just not interested. I couldn't get a good pic but here is the location of the "spot" it is not white...more clear with almost a peeling look to it.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

Thanks for alll the info!!

This is just a wild guess.But have you tryed anything for bacteria or fungus infections.
You might try some Amoxicillin.I dont know that it will help.But I doubt it will hurt anything.

Back