Help - Heater Broken

I used to fish at Cayouga lake with my grandpa before he passed. He taught me a lot of stuff, I still remember catching my first "picture taker" fish, a big ass northern pike. Was one of the proudest days of my life =D

And we are no smarter than anybody else, we just apply knowledge in a different way :)

Engineers are actually quite simple, they are fascinated with the simplest everyday devices that most people take for granted!

Sorry to break up the Geek Fest, but why on earth are you running your tank temp so high? Good God, I'd shit a brick if my tank temp went over 79 and/or below 75.

LFS said 79+/- 5 degrees. So it goes down a few at night and up a few during the day. Should I take it down 3 degrees?

What kind of heaters did you buy? I tried buying cheap 25 dollar heaters and they didn't last. I ended up buying a hydro 300 watt heater for my 55 gallon and it seems to work fine. Maybe i should be on the safe side and buy a second Heater. never thought about that lol

I don't know what kind they were I just picked them up in a pinch because I am getting a really nice one when I get my sump in.

If you want to really be able to sleep at night, get a 2-stage ranco controller. It has a probe and two outlets. Put the temp probe in the tank, and the outlets to two heaters. Set one to 78 and one to 80. That way if a heater fails and sticks "on", the controller will just remove power to it. If one heater fails, the other will pick up the load.

Once in a while you can check to make sure they both work by swapping outlets between heaters and seeing if your tank is staying at 78 or 80.

Back