Help help help!!!

I would venture to say that's probably too much light for your tank!! You're getting like 14 watts per gallon with that baby. I think it'd heat up your tank too much.

Do they have one that has 150 watt MH instead of the 250? I think if there's a fixture that has 150s, that'd be perfect. Overall, that looks like it has good features though.

Keep in mind that if you get new lights, you will have to acclimate your animals too them. You can get sheets of light diffuser from the home improvement store, stack them together and gradually remove them one by one. If you add new lights all at once, it will shock your animals and possibly kill them.

no that is one that i'm loooking at they also have this on

48" Metal Halide 716W Reef Aquarium Lighting HO T5 LEDs

Fixture Supports & Specification:-
HQI lamp: 2 x 250W
HO T5 light bulb: 4 x 54W
Dual LED: 6 x Blue-Moon night light
Light Fixture unit dimension: 48" L x 15" W x 3" H
Fixture unit finish & material: non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
5" Internal built-in cooling fan: 1
Internal electronic HO T5 ballasts: 4
External electronic HQI ballasts: 2
Individual power cords: 2 x HQIs, 1 x HO T5s, 1 x LEDs, 1 x Cooling fan
Independent frt & bk row HO T5: Yes
Plexi HO T5 splash guard: 2
Heat treated glass HQI splash guard: 2
Individual timer compatible: Yes

Well I'm also getting a new tank I was going to go with the 100 gal but my husband and I decided to go with a 90 the pet store gave me a good deal so we went with that so I will need lighting for that so if I'm going to get new ones I want them big enough for that tank..

That light would be perfect for a 90.But I thinks its still over kill on a 55.
But you can cut the time the halides run,and just run the T-5s untill you get the 90 ready to go.

That sounds like a plan I ordered it today. the bumb deal is that that lighting is NEW only a year old I thought it was for reef tanks and it was not so my plan is that when I set up the new tank I'm going to turn my 55 into my refugium and use the lighting for that

so when you say new but only a year old, do you mean it was made a year ago and just sat in the box, or was it used for a year but still in new condition?

no the lights I have now. I ordered this one today for $350

48" Metal Halide 716W Reef Aquarium Lighting HO T5 LEDs

Fixture Supports & Specification:-
HQI lamp: 2 x 250W
HO T5 light bulb: 4 x 54W
Dual LED: 6 x Blue-Moon night light
Light Fixture unit dimension: 48" L x 15" W x 3" H
Fixture unit finish & material: non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
5" Internal built-in cooling fan: 1
Internal electronic HO T5 ballasts: 4
External electronic HQI ballasts: 2
Individual power cords: 2 x HQIs, 1 x HO T5s, 1 x LEDs, 1 x Cooling fan
Independent frt & bk row HO T5: Yes
Plexi HO T5 splash guard: 2
Heat treated glass HQI splash guard: 2
Individual timer compatible: Yes

Last edited:
not for a while, we are building a new house so as soon as all the wall are sheet rocked and carpet is in then my husband is going to build it into the wall and make a nice big area under the tank for me... But it will be a while B/4 we will get in there, right now all we have is the shell of the house. I would like to have the tank up and running so it will cycle with in 4 month and then we are planning on maybe getting in the house by spring

I have that Chinese "bargain" fixture w/ the 2 halides and 4 pc's, so far, 11 months old and running great, IMO its worth it, I have it over a 110g, so it'll work great for your 90g. It makes a lot of heat though, I'd reccomend getting a $10 fan from home depot or wal mart and blowing across the water's surface to get rid of the heat.
Ditto on the 55g for a sump, I wish I had thought of putting a big sump under my stand when I set up first, lesson learned!
So, how's your carpet doing? Mine lasted 2 weeks under 260w PC in my 55g, needless to say I won't be trying another carpet until I have a WELL matured tank with crazy bright lighting!

(whoa I just saw the date on this post, I bet a lot has changed since oct 29th!)

did you get your lights on ebay I have the " barain" fixture also and I did do the cheep fan to we must be thinking a like.. My carpet seems to be doing good

good to hear! Yeah I got the fixture on ebay, I don't remember the brand or seller ID but the price sounded similar, did it come with 15,000k bulbs for the MH? I ended up buying some 20,000k bulbs 3 months ago and I really like the colors it makes, I was able to shut off the PC actinics that way since they didn't really add any more blue over the 20k. Saves a little electricity, except from what I've read the 20k wont produce growth as fast as 10k or 14k.

Oh man... if your going to build it in the wall you need to go bigger than a 90 ;)

125 minimum...

How are your corals looking today?

IMO dont use any chemicals, ever....

Deal with the Ph by doing water changes more often.

Hope all is well over there...
not for a while, we are building a new house so as soon as all the wall are sheet rocked and carpet is in then my husband is going to build it into the wall and make a nice big area under the tank for me... But it will be a while B/4 we will get in there, right now all we have is the shell of the house. I would like to have the tank up and running so it will cycle with in 4 month and then we are planning on maybe getting in the house by spring

Back