help, help, help

rbl1979

Reefing newb
Quick question for anyone, my 2 year somehow got hold of a bottle of Calcium additive. Thankfully he didn't drink it but it looks like he was helping with the water chemistry :shock: It looks like he dumped just about the full bottle into the aquarium. We are doing quick water change outs but I don't know how long ago he dumped it in. Will this have any real bad effects on the tank short term, everything looks healthy right now, fish are fine and I don't think I have ever seen the corals as big as they are now but I have to go work pretty soon and won't be able to keep changing water until it is back to normal. It is the Seachem Calcium product that went into it. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I think that dramatic swings in the water chemistry are more detrimental to corals, I'm not an expert in this area by any means, but I think the recommendation here is to walk the water chemistry back down slowly (over a period of days or even weeks). I'm sure it depends on what types of corals, etc. that you have.

Do you know what your calcium levels are at this point?

Too much calcium won't hurt. It you dumped too much for your tank volume to handle, it will start to precipitate out (turn into a solid).

I tired to do a quick calcium check when we were trying to find where he put it and well lets just say I gave up when it turned into more of a gel in the test tube.

your only thing you can do which you said your doing is water changes. but if he put a whole bottle of it in your tank i would think it would precipitate and make your tank look like its snowing inside

thanks Bifferwine, that is what I was thinking also, it will just be high levels for a long time until I can replace the whole volume many times over thanks that will put me at ease when I am at work.

I would just do a nice size water change right now, and then another water change in a day or so. The levels should equalize after that.

Back