Help Help!

That one I don't know. BL1 is going to have to answer that one. Also, I would try the search feature up top, it may help you find out how.

I use that link all the time! It's very useful. Stray voltage seems to be a very common problem, and most people have never heard of it.

Yea i bet thats what it is, dangit, atleast i know what might be the problem jusy having a fish die and not knowing why kills me haha

Although I'm afraid to..I'm gonna have to disagree with Biff on this one:mrgreen:...Stray Voltage didn't kill the fish. I'm no expert on Stray Voltage but I do know a little about voltage in general. Don't get me wrong, Stray Voltage is a real issue, and it kills things. But most of the things it kills are inverts. Here's my theory on it, if there was enough stray voltage in a tank to kill a fish, it would kill all of the fish almost immediately (especially if they were the same size). There wouldn't be a 2 week delay in death.

The voltage that we're talking about is usually (but not always) a very small amount. It's enough to kill inverts. (snails, etc). If it was enough to kill a fish, you'd be able to feel it when you put your hand on the tank. The reason why inverts get killed by stray voltage is because they tend to climb onto powerheads, etc. They are going directly to the source of the stray voltage and getting zapped, but that voltage isn't powerful enough to travel throughout the tank, it's isolated to a specific area. (snails find the area and die)...then they die immediately or almost immediately, we don't notice for a day or so, because snails are boring. By the time we notice, there are 5 or 6 dead...

Now, there can be enough stray voltage in your tank to freak your fish out, but you'd definitely notice them swimming in an eratic manor 9and when I say eratic, I mean fast, like they're trying to escape something), once you've eliminated the source of the problem, the fish would calm down and swim as normal.

I could be wrong, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.:D

Back