HELP!!!!!! Holy nitrates.

Damnselpa

Just Fish
I need to know the best way to lower nitrate in a tank. Right now my nitrate levels are around 40-50. My fish are dealing with it but I think it is doing a number on my snails. I have done water changes once a week. Only about 4 gals at a time. The tank is a 30 gal with 10 gal sump/refugium. I have a great deal of long hair algae that will not go away. I do want to upgrade my protein skimmer. I only feed the fish once a week. I did try some nitrate reducer from the pet store but with no results. Any advise on how to lower and keep low.

First, I would up your water changes to about 10g a week or 5g every few days until your nitrates fall. They are likely feeding your hair algae, which won't go away until you get them under control, and at those levels will begin to affect not only your inverts but also your fish.

The water changes will help in the immediate future, but for long term control we do need some more information to help you out:

What type of food are you feeding, how much, and how often?
What type of water are you using - RO/DI, tap, etc?
How many fish do you have and what types?
How old is your tank?
How long have the nitrates been a problem?
How often do you test your water and what type of test kit do you use?

+1 Fishy

Damn:… I always wanted to do that, LOL

You absolutely need to do what Fishy says. The fourm members need more information. I promise you will get outstanding answers based on that information. I would like to add one question.

What kind of filtration, or filtration process are you using?

I ran into a similar issue and fixed the problem with huge water changes . I have a 33g tank with 20g sump. I did 20g on day one , 20g day two, 10g day four , 20g day six. It was a huge PITA but it worked and now I am doing normal weekly changes , but I still do 10g at a time.

Biggest thing is to match the temp and ph to existing tank specs .

Good luck

Back