Help!!!! I don't want to get ripped off!!!

Some of the stuff I wouldn't go for....like that canister filter and the powerhead with the sponge - those are best left to saltwater, although you can use the canister filter to run carbon as needed. I think you can just take off the sponge. Plus from what I've heard, I think that skimmer is crap, but not sure if that was the brand.

How big is the tank? Make sure that stand is not rotting anywhere. The rocks, tank, stand, and UV light alone makes it seem like an ok deal. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Some of the stuff I wouldn't go for....like that canister filter and the powerhead with the sponge - those are best left to (freshwater), although you can use the canister filter to run carbon as needed. I think you can just take off the sponge. Plus from what I've heard, I think that skimmer is crap, but not sure if that was the brand.

How big is the tank? Make sure that stand is not rotting anywhere. The rocks, tank, stand, and UV light alone makes it seem like an ok deal. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

like wontonflip said as long as its not broken then i think it would be a good deal

So in your opinion how much more money would be needed to make this an efficient saltwater tank. And can the light that it comes with grow coral?

Sorry if some of these questions are stupid. I am new to this.

Not stupid at all, actually. I'm not a coral person, myself, so someone else will chime in about lights.

Actually, just to put it into perspective, upon googling around, I found this:

.All-Glass AGA brand cabinet 54 corner tank-black fob-0 special shipping

Same tank, brand new for around $323, plus shipping of course (company is in NY), god knows how much that would be. You're looking at this used one w/ all the stuff included (most of the stuff is really better left for freshwater). Then the rocks, UV filter, and bags of salt are included, so that adds a little value, but again, the tank linked above is for a brand spanking new one that is not likely to have any leaks or scratches. Plus of course warranty.

I suggest getting a better skimmer...maybe an Octopus skimmer. They can be costly, but they are amongst the best. They make a hob (hang on back) version if you don't have a sump.

You'll also need more rock than what they have. If you want to save money, just get more dry rock. You'll just have a longer cycle (I used all dry for my 125g originally. Cycle took a few weeks). If you have the budget, invest in a few pieces of good live rock and mix w/ more dry rock. I'm not sure what that red rock is. Hopefully it's not some type of lava rock. Not sure if it's the one that leaches out metals...if so, not good for the tank.

Ditch the driftwood, fake seaweed, and porcelain duck too LOL

I'd get new sand (doesn't need to be live). Aragonite sand is great. Don't do crushed coral (nitrate factories.)

If anything, you could show that link to the guy to put it into perspective for him, and see if he'll deal.

is it worth $400? -Close, but i don't see this being a great deal considering the equipment you are getting.

I would not start a saltwater tank with this equipment. i see a 54g corner tank that is not drilled. I see a canister filter which I would not recommend for saltwater. I don't see a sump. The skimmer is ancient. The rock does not look like quality live rock - it looks way too dense and the pieces are huge. The sand looks like beach sand (vs. aragonite or crushed coral). What looks like an overflow is not impressive. The pond uv is not necessary.

Unless you have your heart set on a corner setup - there are much better configurations. You can probably get a used 40g breeder set up (36x18x16) with a stand for $150 - $200. It may even be drilled for saltwater. You will need a sump (10-20g), a skimmer and a good return pump (and the plumbing for it). I think for $400 you can get a much better turnkey setup than what i see. Check kijiji or local forums.

So if you are asking me - walk away.

Good for you :D If you can afford $400, you might as well get a nice new one, hopefully with a built in overflow so you can set up a sump.

I think you can find a much better set up for $400. Just to give you some reference in looking at set-ups, I paid $400 for a 90g off of craigslist that came with a stand, canopy, sump, hang on back overflow, and a lot of odds and ends that I mostly didn't end up using. Also came with a second 45 hex set up + stand that I am now getting ready to start up as a second tank. For the 90g, after buying new lights (AI Sol LED, abt $950), reef octopus skimmer rated for twice my tank size ($325ish), RO/Di unit ($350ish), powerheads ($250ish), 150 # dry rock ($250), 25 # live rock ($185ish - will never buy from aquacon again!), return pump ($100), float switch ($100), and all sorts of various plumbing odds and ends, salt, sand, test kits... I probably spent close to $4000 before l even got water in the tank. I spent more on some things than I would now (like the RO/Di unit, float switch, return pump, expensive sump light -- you can find cheaper but still good quality equipment than what I spent for these items). Bottom line, its an expensive hobby and things add up - light bulbs, power cords, salt, test supplies, refractometer, hoses, valves, Ro/Di filters, dosing supplies, carbon/gfo.... you don't need everything at once, but will eventually want it.... and can end up spending a whole heck of a lot more on stuff than what I spent! The tank and stand will probably be the cheapest part of the package! I think you can find good deals on CL but really need to do your homework (and it sounds like you are) to make sure its worth it. I would stay away from tanks that have been used for freshwater because a lot of freshwater hobbiests use medications or additives that can get into the silicone and stay in the tanks even after you clean them and then wreck havoc on a reef set up (copper-based medications are a common example). Be patient and you will find a great set up :)

I agree with Fishy. You can do better for that money.

First of all, that tank is an odd shape. There's nothing wrong with that if it's what you like, but it WILL mean you will have to take special consideration into the fishes you choose to house.

Most of the other equipment looks like junk to me. At least two of the powerheads are junk, the uv filter is a bad idea anyway, the skimmer is junk and looks really worn, and the canister filter is almost useless.

As for the light, it's fine. It will grow coral, although it will need new bulbs I'm sure.....and good ones aren't cheap.

If you're asking if the specific parts are worth more than $400 even in their state, then yes I would say they are. It's not a rip off or anything...but most of it isn't really ideal for a reef setup, including the tank....so I would just wait.

If I were you I would save your money and buy good stuff. Look for a good deal on a tank because that's the first thing you'll need but don't buy into a bunch of other stuff you probably won't want or use.

Back