Help I have termites

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by lbcathee, Jun 9, 2012.

1. lbcathee

lbcathee

Has anyone out there had termites before? I just spoke with my third inspector. This one didn't recommend tenting (Thank Goodness!) He is recomending Boracare and Termidor. They will use it outside and under the house and in the attic, not in the house at all.

He was swearing up and down that it will be fine for the tank. He said you can barely even smell the stuff. I don't think he knows anything about saltwater. He kept referring to it as my "goldfish"

I have to do something about the termites obviously. So I'm considering packing up the tank and moving it. I really don't want to do that, but I don't want to risk killing everything in it either.

Has anyone ever gone through this? What did you do?

If there is a better place for this thread than water chemistry, please move it.
    THANKS!

lbcathee, Jun 9, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. lbcathee

Bifferwine I am a girl

I have never been through it myself, but people that have have "bagged" their tank -- put a thick plastic bag over it, and taped it around the edges to keep it air tight. I would be concerned about it too, but if they are not using it inside the house, I don't think there would be much to worry about. I used to have a 3 gallon pico tank on my desk at work, and I came in one Monday to find they had exterminators bug bombing every room of the office! They had already finished my office so my tank wasn't covered or anything. I was mainly concerned about my shrimp, since she is so closely related to bugs, but luckily everything turned out okay.

Bifferwine, Jun 9, 2012
    lbcathee likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. lbcathee

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

I would just bag it. Leave it bagged for a few hours after the treatme.t

fastrd400, Jun 9, 2012
    lbcathee likes this.
  4. lbcathee

lbcathee

Thanks guys!!!

lbcathee, Jun 10, 2012
  5. lbcathee

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Boracare and Termidor shouldn't cause you any problems. Those aren't for fogging like the stuff they use when they tent your house. So the chemicals wont be airborne.

yote, Jun 10, 2012
    lbcathee likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question