HELP i think i have hair algae

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
on one of my rock i see this algae growing i would take pic but the hair is so fine i would come on the picture:pooh:

what should i do take out and clean or leave i have no clue is this normal:shock::confused:
today is my 10th day of cycle and 1st day with protein skimmer

also on another rock i see something brown and it looks like a thick stem i touched it and its hard i think it was a shroom should i take taht out its dead i think

The thick stem, hard to say without a pic. Can you get a pic for us?

As for the hair, it's some type of algae, which is normal for a cycling tank. After your tank is done cycling you can add a cleaner crew which will help. But no matter what, you're going to have algae problems in a new tank.

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

hope these help:Cheers:

so for now leave the algae alone??:question:

Last edited:
A shroom wouldn't be hard if its dead or alive.Its hard to tell what it actually is in the last pic.It looks like decaying matter of some kind.Removing it is up to you.I'm going to assume you're cycle is over because I see a Foxface in there.If so,now would be a good time for a variety of snails.Astreas,Trochus and a couple of Mexican Turbos snails should help.

well i think that my good luck has somewhat vanished i have been looking for about 4 days and noone seems to have anything in stock they all told me same thing come back tuesday the petco and 3 other LFS

for now all i have is a hitchhicker like this
IMG_0203.JPG

and a banded coral shrimp <--- but hes a scavenger i think right

the snail is pretty fast but i nkow he definetely need help
what should i get snail i know i cant get other shrimp cause of the banded

so what are my choics

would a star or cucumber help??

one of my LFS had one of these BIG motherhttp://melevsreef.com/id/crown_conch.html

but without the spikes thats the best he could offer as a cleaner he said for now

IT WAS HUGE about 4'' big *shivers but cool

Don't get a star or cucumber yet. They won't do anything for your rocks. Starfish require stable tanks and are sensitive to water parameters, so I'd wait at least a month after your tank is done cycling before getting a starfish. And I just hate cucumbers altogether. They are foul, nasty things. They bury themselves in the sand. So if they die you can't find them. I had one die in my tank, it spiked my nitrates to 150.

Coral banded shrimp will scavage.But make no mistake,they will do their best to catch and kill a fresh meal when ever they get a chance.

Back