Help identify this feather like thing

Rob M

Reefing newb
It is actually growing on my branching Duncan coral. It was very small about a month ago. Actually thinking about detaching and moving if good.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also you should look into picking up a emerald crab to eat the green bubble algae growing on your rock, if those bubbles pop in your tank you can have quite the outbreak of bubble algae.

Thank u for the identification and suggestions. When referring to the bubble algae, are you referring to the algae that is actually to the left (which is actually on a dead branch of Duncan because the green on rock to the right the turbo have been eating. ? Thanks again

Yup. Bubble algae looks like little green pearls. The stuff right under your duncan.

And +1 to the anthelia. I always liked mine. If you have room, let it grow.

The anthelia actually looks nice. Do I simply cut off and reattach with some coral putty? Also since the bubble algae is on the Duncan itself would it be better to take it out then remove algae by scraping off in a saltwater container rinse then put back in? Or can that do damage to coral

It wouldn't damage the coral, but you may pop the bubbles. I always had a lot of success with GENTLY pulling them off when they would pop up in my tank. Be careful not to pop them.

Is the anthelia attached to the dead branch of the duncan? You can just break it off and move it.

Thank you, the anthelia is attached to the hard base of the Duncan. I will just break it off and move. Got some work to do tomorrow

+1 Erin. I always had bad luck removing the bubble algae myself but I know lots of people that do it successfully.

If the Anthelia is not on a dead branch you can cut a small piece of the Duncan's coral skeleton where it is attached then you can superglue that to another rock (use the gel glue).

Thank u fir the clarification. I am thinking it will be easier to remove the whole Duncan from the tank, clean off the bubble algae, and cut off the anthelia then replace Duncan and anthelia in another location. I think this would be safer to remove the algae outside tank in case they pop and just plain easier to remove anthelia. Sound good?

How come that little softy isn't getting burnt by the duncan. I have a duncan in my tank and its tenticles get couple inchs long. If it touches any of my other corals it burns the crap out of them.

I am actually surprised how well it has been doing. It was barely a spec when I bought the Duncan about 2 months ago, now there are several of these (some out of picture on the other side of the Duncan) and is slightly shaded under the duncan heads. The feathers seeam to just about reach the Duncan tentacles. the reason why I asked what this was, is because I noticed the Duncan head it was attached to was not opening as much as the others, so, of course, I got concerned.

Back