Help Me Build a TINY Wet/Dry System

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I live in an apartment. I cannot have a nice 100 gallon tank like I want. So, I'm stuck with a 20 gallon for now.

I want to yank the undergravel filter out and put a wet/dry unit under the stand.

The problem is nobody makes a wet/dry filter this small. I was thinking of using a small 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon tank as a sump and add some plexiglass shelves and bio-balls with a small pump.

I have a basic idea of how to build a wet/dry, but could really use some help to avoid any pitfalls along the way.

I don't know how to cut plexiglass or glue it together. Don't know how big my wet/dry should be. Don't know how many GPH my pump should push or where to get that small of a pump.

Would really appreciate any help. I've been all over the internet looking for diagrams and help with construction of my own wet/dry, but non of the articles have instilled much confidence that I can do this.

I'm sure someone will tell me that I'm wasting my time trying to put a wet/dry on a 20gallon tank. I'd rather not hear it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It can't be that hard, I just need a little help.

Seams like a guy could go to the LFS and get a little 5 gallon tank--add some shelves and bio balls. Build an overflow and turn it on.

Thanks

Tried to post a jpeg image of my idea, but apparently you can't upload jpeg images to this site.

Last edited:
Anything can be done with a little time and some trial and error.
To cut plexi-glass use either a sawzall with a fine toothed bi-metal blade,a jig-saw,or take your circular saw and turn the blade around.One you got it cut how you want it,you can either use the aquarium silicone that any LFS sales,or you can get some special cement for it at most glass shops.
For a pump,look at the Rio 1700.There small but strong.That would be my choice for a sump the size your building.
For posting pictures,set yourself up an account at photobucket.com.Its easier to upload your pictures there then copy and paste them here.
Hope I helped out some any way.

If you never built a sump before than I would stick with using a 10 gallon tank and putting baffles in.Unless you don't mine the trial and error plus possible leaks.I would also look at pre-made wet/drys for possible design ideas.Of course,you would need to have a pre-drilled tank or external overflow.You should get a pump thats rated(gph) near or lower than the overflow.

Here's one possible design and it looks like there's room for a skimmer,heater and pump......Aquarium Filtration: All-Glass Aquarium MegaFlow Sump Filter Wet/Dry Filter

I am actually looking for a 5 gallon tank as my main sump.

I've been pounding the net for a week and can't find a regular plain old rectangular 5 gallon tank. That would be easy to just put some baffles in and a couple pieces of eggcrate with bio-balls. Add pump and an overflow siphon. Done.

Seams every 5 gallon tank made today has a bow front. :frustrat:

I just want a rectangluar 5 gallon tank from Target or Wallmart or the LFS. I don't think I could give my left arm for one right now.

Anyone know where I can get one of those?

I found tank seperators at Aquarium guys dot com. That would be perfect for my shelf to hold the bio balls and also on top of the bio balls with a drip plate and some floss on top. Just silicone it in. It's perforated with holes and looks like the perfect drip plate.

This stuff:
Fish Tank Divider 10 Gallon (Penn Plax)

And maybe this powerhead, like Yote suggested?
Rio 1700 Power Head

And some of these bio balls:
Coralife Mini Bio Balls 1 Gallon

And this protein skimmer. Not sure on this. Would like to do this on a budget, but not sure if this will do the job. I'm assuming you power it with a simple airpump?
Protein Skimmer Counter Current Small

The plan:
WetDry2.JPG

Not sure on the height of the skimmer. I might have to adjust the baffle heights or put the skimmer on a shelf. I never used a skimmer before, so not sure how far into the water it must sit in order to function correctly.

I found a 5 1/2 gallon aquarium that looks perfect for my sump.

I'm going to get the bio-balls, skimmer, drip tray and pump from aquariumguys dot com.

I'll put some pics in my gallery if anyone wants to see the assembly.

Every sounds good except for the skimmer.I didn't realize they still make counter-current skimmers.I would at least go with a Venturi skimmer.

Im going to agree with Reef on the skimmer.IMO,I think you'd be better off even with a seaclone over a counter current.

DEFINITELY pass on the Sea Clone. Total waste of money. I don't know about the other two. For the same price (or even cheaper), you can get a Coralife Superskimmer, which many people on this forum have and really like. For a little bit more, you can get an Aqua C Remora Pro, which I have and really like. And I disagree with your LFS, I would run the skimmer 24/7.

WHY would you want a wet dry filter? Unless you want to grow hair algae! The aerobic bacteria within a wet dry will convert nitrites to nitrates, which will then accumulate and fuel algal blooms in your tank. What you really need to do is convert nitrates to harmless inert nitrogen gas, and this can be done by anaerobic bacteria that live in the nooks and crannies of live rock or at the bottom of a sand bed.

Hmmm
I been running a wet/dry on my 55 for about 3 months and never had a trace of nitrates.
I will be running the same wet/dry on my 75.
Any type of filter including deep sand bed and live rock will cause high nitrates if the proper maintance and care are not practiced and used.

BTW
I also run a sea clone 100 on my 30 gallon and have never had any problems what so ever.
I'll agree that there are better skimmers out there.But for a small tank,or is cash is short,then a seaclone will work,again as long as the proper maintance and care are practiced.

I've purchased a CPR AquaFuge2 refugium, the medium size with the light and light stand to go with it.

I bought a Current Nano skimmer. It's rated for 30 gallons. It's small. It's cheap. And it comes with the powerhead. I'll post in the forums after I've had a chance to run it and see how it performs.

I just bought a Coralife Aqualight Deluxe power compact with 1-65w 10,000K bulb and a 65w actenic bulb. Total 130w. Thats for the tank. Forgot to buy the leg kit for it. :frustrat:

I'm going for mostly live rock and inverts. I'm going to be using a 4-6" DSB and the refugium with a skimmer. Thats it. I'm purchasing sugar sized sand but it's not live. It IS cheap. I'll seed it with a few cups of sand from the LFS and give it 6 weeks to cycle with some rotting brine shrimp. Hope they don't croak.

Last edited:
I'll post pics when I have all the parts together. I'm going to get the whole thing set up and then I'll snap a few pics.

Back