Help me choose!

Leslee

Reef enthusiast
I am buying a HOB skimmer! I HATE scrubbing the HOB filters I have on my 29gal! I know my fish are going to be sooooooo happy!

I don't know what route to go!

AquaC Remora? AquaC Remora/Remora Pro Protein Skimmers
If so which one and how do I know what pump to choose?

Octopus?
Hang on Back HOB Reef Octopus Protein Skimmers Again, not sure how to even start to choose!

I have some $$ to spend and I want to get the best for my fishies!

Also I am most likely going to buy a RO/DI unit!

I was originally going to go through purewaterclub, but now I am worried! Especially since I am no where near an experienced plumber.
I live in an apartment and it needs to be little and not too big of a hassel to install and then I want to be able to take it with me when I leave.

I found this on purewaterclub's website: 0PPM Portable 100G Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filter#PO-4B-3P10 P U R E W A T E R C L U B
Do you think it will work for me? And you think I could hide it under the counter and not have to put it on the counter?

Can you hear my fish's excitment?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!!!

i have the Aqua C Remora and was instructed by a few people to use the maxi-jet 1200 ( which i did )

i dont have the filter box and am now thinking i want it as the pump on this HOB skimmer once setup takes water from about 5 inches down in the water. Not really "skimming" anything at that depth. the filter box would allow for actual skimming. it seems to forth up OK. might be a tad loud, as i do not have any experiance with any other skimmer, just seems a bit noisy even after breakin.

i can see a "film" starting to grow on the surface of my water so a filter box would help trim off the surface water better i would think

I have that RO unit. I don't use the RO part of it because there is a lot of waste water. That may not be a problem for you. I guess that's true with all RO filters though. Anyway, it is really easy to put the adapter on your faucet and then take it off and stash it under your sink or anywhere else. I'm also looking for a skimmer for the same sized tank. I'm anxious to see some responses.

I have that RO unit. I don't use the RO part of it because there is a lot of waste water. That may not be a problem for you. I guess that's true with all RO filters though. Anyway, it is really easy to put the adapter on your faucet and then take it off and stash it under your sink or anywhere else. I'm also looking for a skimmer for the same sized tank. I'm anxious to see some responses.

So I just take it out and use it when I need it? Its not something that has to be always hooked up? I kinda like that idea.

Reef Octopus BH 2000 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer by CoralVue - AquaCave

I have this one on my 29 gal. It is a bit overkill I know but I am hoping to save money when we move into a house and I get a larger tank. It is only 20 bucks more than the BH1000. It has only been running over a month now and I am still fine tuning it.

Hope that helps

Do you think you will have to modify it at all? I am a little nervous about having to modify things. I like them to work very well when I get them. I only ask because the review says that they thought they were going to have to modify it and they have only 3 fish in a 55. Turns out they didn't because of the low bioload. Well I have 4 fish in my 29.

Also is it pretty loud? The tank is in my bedroom.... I would like to get something nice like this is though, because I want to be able to use it when I upgrade, even though thats no where in sight yet.

It is no louder than the overflow and other pumps. But it is in my living room not the bed room. I dont think I will have to modify it. It makes tons of bubbles and lots of foam. I am just having trouble adjusting the hight of the collection cup. Too high and it produces next to no foam but really dark. Too low, very wet foam that fills the cup up too fast. And it is within 1/4" so it takes some time. This is so much better than my seaclone that I replace which didnt produce any foam no mattter what

Back