help me guess

lumpy

Reefing newb
I have something that has shreaded some recordia mushrooms and a Frogspawn in my tank. I've been watching but I haven't been able to catch the culprit. I'd like to poll the collective expertise of the community to see which fish is most likely to be the issue. I have the following.

Two Clowns
Two FireFin Gobies
A blue Damsel
A green Damsel
A Lemon Yellow Tang
A Blood Red HawkFish
A Bengai Cardinal
A 6 line wrasse
A yellow Wrasse of some sort not sure the exact name.

Also a bunch of small hermit crabs and standard clean up crew stuff but I doubt they're the problem.

Who would you guys put money on in my shoes? :D

yeah me either. I generally do research before purchasing. I'll try and snap a picture of anything that's still left when I get home from work.

When I had some corals get ripped up, the culprit was a gorilla crab that hitched a ride on a new piece of rock. Check after the lights have been out for a while, you might see it then.

Lemon yellow tang? Is this a zebrasoma tang or a mimic lemonpeel tang? If its the mimic lemonpeel then you might actually have a lemonpeel angel fish instead of a tang and that could be the culprit. But my money is on a hitchhiking invert.

Don't over look the clowns.
A pair ( or even a single ) of clowns can cause considerable damage to corals when trying to use it as a host.Especially LPS corals which have delicate flesh over a sharp boney skeleton.

Lemon yellow tang? Is this a zebrasoma tang or a mimic lemonpeel tang? If its the mimic lemonpeel then you might actually have a lemonpeel angel fish instead of a tang and that could be the culprit. But my money is on a hitchhiking invert.
I don't know if this is the fish the OP has but there is a Lemon Tang Lemon Tang
As Yote said hosting clowns can do damage but if they were hosting those corals that would be noticeable. I am betting on a rogue invert as well.

I don't know if this is the fish the OP has but there is a Lemon Tang Lemon Tang
As Yote said hosting clowns can do damage but if they were hosting those corals that would be noticeable. I am betting on a rogue invert as well.

Interesting! I always assumed that was just a mimic tang that didn't have the blue highlights. But LA lists it as acanthurus sp. and doesn't specify it as a mimic even though tank size requirements are the same. Thanks for the info!

I had some Hammer coral get demolished by a red cleaner shrimp. They got to meet Hermes, my killer Hermit Crab in his tank.

I'm thinking either the Clowns trying to host it or a Hitchhiker. My Best Friend has a Mater pair of Ocellaris that host his Torch Coral.

Back