Help Me Pick A New Light

another thing about the t5 fixture is that the fans are enclosed in the fixture well at least on the nova extreme and the air comes in one side and out the other. there is practically no heat that gets transfered directly to the tank

No it wasn't that link I had one off of RC that was really good but I can't find it now. If I run across it I throw it on here.

Out of the lights you listed the Outer orbit would be my choice.You may get heat issues running MH on a 30 gallon tank.I just don't think MH is needed.

Forget all that crap about watts per gallon.It does not apply well these days especially when it comes to T5.You get twice as much PAR/lumens per watt then PC and with individual reflectors they are right up there with Metal Halides.The Tek 4x24w which has IR is what I would go with.

Just found this:
Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 2 x 24W - T5 - 10,000k/460nm - 24 in. | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Here's the REAL delima:
I want more lights on the tank, obviously. But, I spent a little money on the PC unit I have now. It's 130w, but not quite good enough for doing clams and anenomes.

It's like 8" wide with the legs. My tank is only 12.5" wide.

I've been looking all over the place for a light that I could just set down on top of the tank and place it right next to the existing light. Nothing I could find up till now would fit next to the existing unit. I was looking at single strip PC lights, but for the performance, it just wasn't worth the money to add another 65w of PC lighting. Thats all that would fit next to the existing unit.

So, I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to buck up and spend some real cash for a good MH & PC or MH & T-5 combo light.

It's not that money is no object. I do have some cash to spend on it - just got a nice commission check from work - but I want to spend my money wisely this time. I was a bit rished when I bought these PC lights, and it didn't take long to realize I'd made a mistake. They are fine for entry level reefing or a fish only tank, but for a serious reef tank they are painfully inadequate.

I'm REALLY tempted to buy this T-5 unit, but it's listing one actenic and one daylight. I really just want more light in the 10,000K range. Don't need more actenic.

Would it be possible to buy this unit and just plug in another 10,000K daylight? Or would the ballast have to be retrofitted in order to run dual daylights out of this fixture?

Or, just buy it and live with it for $60? I've got 130w (65w daylight & 65w actenic) of power compact now. Would it make any difference to add 24w of T5 daylight 10,000K and 24w of T5 actenic?

This is a hard decision to make and I just don't know if I should continue to jack around with the light I got by adding to it--or just drop some cash and get a really nice light in the 300w range. :shock:

If you want to add more light than that fixture will do.I still don't know if you will be unlimited though.Its not much of an investment and could always use for something else down the road(say maybe a fuge)which is the same light on my fuge.Give it a try and see what happen.Much of this hobby is anecdotal anyways,IMO.

Changing both bulbs to daylight may give your tank a wash out look even if you have PC actinics.Maybe a 50/50 would be better.

Yote, thats too wide for my tank. It's 14" wide and my tank is only about 12.5" wide. I dunno how they mount, but I'd sure hate to buy it assuming that it would fit and then have to ship it back.
Look at this!! SEXY!!:^:
PFO Solaris- 20K - 24" LED Hood: Premium Aquatics

Can't afford it. :grumble:
Found this. It's PC, but it will fit the tank. 390w.
Aquauniverse.com - 24'' 6 X 65 watt Power Compact

I know it's PC. Seams like for $300 I could just about get a really schweeeet T5 or MH combo light.

hmm. i wonder if that's a typo on the 6 bulb hood? it's 25 bucks cheaper than the 4 bulb. you would think it's the other way around.

Wow 6-65w PC bulbs in 24'' long fixture.That fixture has to be 24''L x 24''W at least.

The Solaris is to expensive.I'm not even sure LED is totally proven yet.Its promising though.

The Catalina doesn't have individual reflectors.The 4 bulb Tek fixture is way better.

OOPS!!
Thats the wrong Monster Reef fixture for my tank. That particular one is 30" long.

I think this is the one I'd get, if I was going to continue with power compact:
Catalina Aquarium MONSTER REEF HOOD POWER COMPACT-6 X 55W

It's 24" long x 12" wide x 6" tall. It's got 6 bulbs at 55w each. 330w total. $275+shipping. Thats kinda okay, but I think I could do better.

You guys have me convinced that T5 are better than PC, so I'm on the hunt for those bulbs in a nice fixture. It's GOT to sit on the tank. Can't drill any holes in the ceiling and mount a pendant system. No can do.

This Solar T5 has individual reflectors and will easily fit my tank. It's $400. ACK!!
Catalina Aquarium
But DAMN that would be sweet!!

Last edited:
I recommended the Tek earlier not realizing that Aquactinics has a new 24'' 5x 24w T5 fixture with individual reflectors.You have to purchase the tank riser separately.I have an Aquactinics and can tell you that its a well constructed/quality fixture........TX5 Series Aquactinics 24" 5 lamp T5 fixture - no lamps: Premium Aquatics

That's NICE!!

I think that might be the front-runner in the T5 category. 120w

I'm likin' that Monster Reef PC unit. It's 330w.

I think I'm done looking at MH units.

So, how would 330w of PC compare to 120w of T5? I'm looking at intensity and penetrating power. I have a 24" deep tank.

I still curious to how they fit that many bulbs in a 24'' fixture.

The T5 has IR,so it will penetrate better than the PC.I still believe the 120w T5 will be better and allow you to keep everything,more so than the 330w PC.

Okay, I'm buying the TX5 from Aquactenics. It's the 24" unit and it holds 5 lights. It's in my shopping cart, all I gotta do is pick my bulbs.

So, which lights would you recommend? Do I just get 2 daylights 10k each and 2 actenics and one combo 50/50 light?

Or is there a better way?

I was thinking about using some 14K or even 20K lights to soften it up. The 10K looks awful white.

Thanks

Where are you getting the Aquactinics at?
They can help you more on what bulb combination that you might like the best.

I bought my fixture from Premium Aquactinics and bought my bulbs from Reefgeek.com.They are a bunch of great guys and can help you more on bulb combinations.Stick with mostly the ATI and UV bulbs since that have the best PAR.

Congrats,I believe you love the fixture.

I'm going to buy the fixture from Premium Aquatics. I called them, and the girl on the phone had no idea what light spectrum was, when I mentioned 10K, 20K and 14K.

I'll look at reefgeek for UTI and AVI bulbs.

Thanks

Back