Help Me Pick A New Light

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

I just called Catalina and got this for $260 shipped.

Catalina Aquarium

It's got 6 bulbs @ 24w each for a total of 144w T5
And 4 moonlights @ 1W each
Individual German polished aluminum reflectors for each T5 tube
Remote Control keypad

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

If you follow the link and look to the right side of the page, there is a pic that you can click to view the fixture. Just in case ya can't wait to see it.

I will certainly post pics after it arrives. You know I'm a pic postin' fool. I upload (upload to living reefs) just about every pic that I take of my tank.

Hopefully, it will be here before the end of the week.

This has been killin' me. I've wanted a better light than the 130w PC, but jst wasn't sure which ones to get. Those TX5 lights that reeffreak showed me looked totally awesome. I was a disaster trying to decide which ones to order. In the end, it boiled down to about 4 different factors.

1- my level/experience in the hobby, which isn't a whole helluva lot.
2-the quality difference between the TX5 and this Solar T5 unit
3-the price
4-wattage

I really don't know squat about reefing. I did have a lot of experience taking care of tanks when I was a kid. I used to have 17 fish tanks in my parents house when I was a teenager. That was 20yrs ago. I had a 135g cichlid tank, a 135 FO SW tank, a 75g piranha tank, a couple 20g feeder tanks, and various other tanks ranging from mostly 55g down to even a 5g SW with a candycane shrimp. But, understanding the nitirfication process-- does not a good reefer make. :shock: So, I guess what I'm saying is, I still consider myself quite the novice with this reefing adventure. I think this light will do perfectly well for the next couple years, given my expectations, direction and experience.

The quality is really hard to determine until you actually have it in your hands. Not that I doubt reefreaks recommendation, but I didn't think I needed the TOP-O-Da-Line unit just yet. I'm sure this unit will be more than surprising for me. It's got the nice individual reflectors for each light, and that seams to be a major point in lighting design. If it shows up with cheap ballasts, then I guess I'll be rebuilding it next year. :mrgreen:

The price. Obviously, this unit is cheaper. But, I should explain. I did not originally intend to buy this particular unit. I wanted the 6 bulb fixture, and I also thought it might be kinda cool to have just a few moonlights. But, I did not see a fixture like that on the website. The one I actually ended up buying was suposed to be about $140 more than I wanted to spend. I was originally after the $300 unit with just 6 bulbs @ 24w each. The TX5 light was $304 and it still needed $130 worth of bulbs.

I thought I'd call them, just to see if they made custom fixtures. We talked for a few minutes and he told me that he'd sell this unit to me for LESS than I originally intended to spend on a unit with fewer features. How could I pass it up?

Then, of course the wattage. The Solar T5 units have 6 bulbs @ 24w compared to the TX5 unit with only 5 bulbs @ 24w. What can I say? 24w is 24w.:mrgreen:

It's not been an easy decision to make. I made a mistake and bought used PC off ebay the first time around. It's a fine unit and it's in great shape, but it's no reefing light. I wanted to get a nice unit this time and be happy when I turned it on. This unit should make my corals very happy. If it looks bright enough, I'm going to get some soft corals, LPS and one or two little pieces of SPS.

Am I rambling again? Sorry. :oops:

You're rabbling again but thats okay,it sounds like your really excited.Congratulations and I hope they exceed your expectations.I really like the remote control...having to buy separate timers sucks big time.

I have to tell you that the TX5 is an excellent fixture but by no means top of the line.They have an overdriven fixture called the Solarflares that a lot more $$$.There are also german T5 fixtures that are twice the amount but still don't have as good of reflectors as the Aquactinics yet cost hundreds more.

I can't wait to see where go coral wise.You should be unlimited now.

ARGH!! UPS is fumbling around with my package. First, they shipped it from Ca, to Utah, to Illionios!! I live in Denver. Seams that package went right past me. Got that straightened out. Then they had my address mis-labeled. Got that straight.

Hopefully it will be delivered today. I'm leaving tomorrow for Kansas City to attend a funeral. UPS doesn't deliver on the weekends, but if they try and deliver on Monday or Tuesday, I won't be here.

I hate UPS. They always screw it up. Somehow, some way--they will foul it up everytime. It's not like I live in some remote area or in NY city where there are millions of apartments stacked on top of each other. It's friggin' Denver. 10 miles from east to west and 15 miles from north to south. How hard can it be?

I wish online retailers would just use US Postal Service. At least then, if the package is too big, they will leave a note in my box and I can drive 1 mile down the road to pick it up. And if it's parishable or has warning labels (live animals) or (fragile) on it--she will come and knock on my door to hand deliver.

Did I mention that I hate UPS? :pissedof:

Well, it's here. I was able to postpone my departure from Denver because the funeral isn't until Tuesday. Not leaving til Saturday morning.

One of my bubls arrived broken. I can't find a store in town that carries a T5 24" @ 24w. They all have 14w.

I can't hook it up til I get home next week anyway. I'd be afraid to plug it in and then disappear for 3 or 4 days. Who knows if it's going to make the tank hot or short out ? I feel like I need to be here to monitor the light for the first week or so.

I'm ordering a new light right now. Hopefully it will be here next week sometime.

Sorry, no pics yet. I don't want to spring the pics on ya until I can light it up and show it off. :mrgreen:

When I ordered my Novas,I had one actinic bulb that was busted when it got here.A call to the 2 docs and they over nighted a new bulb at no extra charge.
Happy you finally got it and looking forward to seeing pics of it.

HOLY FRIGGIN' COW!!!!!!

I just got the actinic bulb and programmed my light. It's totally AWESOME!!

This is under actenic. I went from 65w actinic of PC to 72w actinic of T5 HO and the difference is simply amazing.

Total was 130w PC and now I have 144w T5

The pictures don't show 1/2 the brilliance of the real thing. Just nowhere near as good as in person. So awesome.

15.JPG

12_552551.JPG

11_592926.JPG

The colors are so much more brilliant. I had no idea some of these looked anywhere NEAR this good.

DAMN! I got some PHAT zoas!! (that means totally bada$$)

Last edited:
The daylights are off for the night. I'll put up some pics tomorrow.

I've got a couple of those yellow and orange zoas spreading onto a nearby piece of rubble. Won't be long before I'm ready to slice them off and then I'll have 2 rocks with these same kind.

I'm thinking these will be a nice offering for the spring Round Robin frag swap.

I'm so happy! I just can't believe how much better T5s are. WOW!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Back