help me pls....need help in cycling tank

mcazurin

Reefing newb
ok guys...ive been reading alot about cycling tank....

so there telling me that i need to have bacteria in my new tank in order to start. such as AMMONIA in tank... i even READ about USING HUMAN PISS TO USE AS AMMONIA STARTER.

wat are ways to cycle tank...i understand that i have to build bacteria in my tank.....to all of you pros and experienced reefers.... can someone help me or even teach me the best way to cylce a tank.

Either raw shrimp,or uncured live rock.
But you can pee in your tank if you really want to,I wouldnt suggest it though.

Lol, Yote i never thought of that. I never got an ammonia spike in my cycle so next time i'll have to remember that.:scratchch

i think in the last post you mentioned that you were gonna use uncured live rock..for me thats the better way to star cicling your tank..add live rock and live sand all at once ..with a good protein skimmer..weekly water changes, about 20 or 30 %...and check parameters.. in two weeks i bet your tank will be fully cycled...give it or take a few...my advice is if is a new tank..use uncured live rock....remember before adding the rocks..rinse it well, check every hole...and use a soft toothbrush to scrub it gently....good luck...
wow didnt knew about the human piss...interesting..and funny thou..

Just use uncured live rock, throw a piece of uncooked shrimp in there, a couple pinches of fish food, or you can use 1 or 2 damsels to do it. I think your alone on peeing in the tank bud, I have never heard that one. I you use enough cured live rock your tank will most likly be cycled but add a chromis or damsel for a while and test to be sure. Damsels are not the best to add to a tank because they get so aggressive and are very hard or next to imposable to catch when rock is in the tank. If you want to use a fish get chromis there alot more friendlier.

Try to find someone who has urinated in their tank to get it started. will be hard to find. anyone who recommends that is not helping you. go to the fish market and get a couple marine shrimp from the deli/meat department, hopefully fresh, drop um in and just let things take its course. in about a week to 10 days you will notice them starting to break down. eventually they will be gone except for the shell piece.. you can also boost the process with some bacteria from your lfs, live sand from another system, live rock, and of course couple fish that may or maynot make it.

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/saltwater-aquarium-articles/517-cycling-tank.html
hope this helps.

Here are my :twocents: . The most important part of cycling a tank IMHO is patience. Don't be in too much of a rush to get livestock in there. Just because you have cycled your tank in 3 weeks, doesn't mean it is time to add 5 large angels and tangs plus a handful of expensive LPS corals. Go S-L-O-W. Your tank will take time to mature and stock. You need to give your bioload time to catch up with each new addition. Plan for a week in between each new fish addition and about 4 days in between each coral. If you are anything like the rest of us, you have your eye on some amazing invert or fish and you are itching to put it in your tank. For me it was a powder blue tang. Yup, I added it one month after finishing cycling my tank. It died three days later. Make a plan for what you want your tank to end up looking like and decide in what order you will add your stock. Wait for just the right fish and invert and you will never be disappointed. Good Luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

they also make a product called bio-spira that is supposed to give a speedy cycle. but why pay 20 bucks for bacteria in a can, when you can buy a whole bag of un-cooked shrimp for 3 bucks at the supermarket. just throw one or two, and fry the rest up for yourself. it's a win win situation. that's all i used to cycle my 55. it cycle in about three weeks.

Yes cured live rock will speed up the cycle, and if you add enough you might not even have a cycle. When a tank cycles its building the bacteria it needs to turn amonia into nitrite into nitrate, but if you add all the bacteria via live rock then it will most likely be cycled.

Just remember that if order your rock off the internet or mail order,then you will have to RE-cure it.If you get cured at your LFS and keep it fairly wet untill you get home and in your tank,then it should not have any die off.

If nothing is in the tank just get 2/3 base rock and 1/3 uncures rock and let the tank cycle. It may take alittle long but you save money that way and make you get more patient for the hobby, which is one thing you will deffinetly need with saltwater.

Back