Help me with the f. algea :)

Homer

Reefing newb
Hello...

I know I am doing few things wrong, but I want to know, which one exactly is responsible for algea, so that not only I can fight the algea, but also to increase my knowledge about marine aquariums and my experience with this kind of things.. Since I am starting new waaaay bigger tank on 26th December I really need to improve my knowledge base :)

Here are the photos... The algea comes off with symphon very easy, but grows even quicker...

Things I`m doing wrong and might be responsible for algea:

1) low lights 24 wats (for 19 gallons), running 24/7l
2) Using tap water,
3.Not using protein skimmer.

20121209_210641.jpg

20121209_210653.jpg

Looks like dinoflagellates which can be a serious pain to get rid of.

Switch to RO/DI.
Continue to siphon out as much as you can (daily)

Looks a bit like dynoflagelates (spelling?), but could be slime algae. Can't really tell from the pictures. Test for nitrates and phosphates, and switch to RO/DI water for sure.

Looks like dinoflagellates which can be a serious pain to get rid of.

Switch to RO/DI.
Continue to siphon out as much as you can (daily)

symphoning won`t be a problem, because as I mentioned only 19 gallon tank :) .. 10 minutes and it is free of algea, but the problem is,it keeps coming back...

Don't let your lights run for 24 hours..Put them on a timer for only 8 hours a day or something.

Yeah, but only 24 wats... it`s like... you know... Candle :)

But if You think, that running lights for 8 hours will help,I`m ready to listen :)

The lights and tap water are the biggest contributing factors. Even with low wattage, its still contributing. I'd strongly recommend doing a 4 day black out - no lights and wrap your tank in a trash bag to block out ambient light. And get yourself an RO/DI unit. With your new tank coming, you want to start off on the right foot and not find yourself with the same problems. That said, if you really don't want to take these steps, then just leave your tank as is for now, and either ditch your existing rocks when you get the new tank or bleach them and leave them in the sun to dry for a good week or so before putting them in the new tank. And get yourself an Ro/DI for the new tank.

The lights and tap water are the biggest contributing factors. Even with low wattage, its still contributing. I'd strongly recommend doing a 4 day black out - no lights and wrap your tank in a trash bag to block out ambient light. And get yourself an RO/DI unit. With your new tank coming, you want to start off on the right foot and not find yourself with the same problems. That said, if you really don't want to take these steps, then just leave your tank as is for now, and either ditch your existing rocks when you get the new tank or bleach them and leave them in the sun to dry for a good week or so before putting them in the new tank. And get yourself an Ro/DI for the new tank.

Of course, I will get an ro/di unit... :) :) :)

But, yeah, I want to fight the algea and win, so I know, what exactly I am doing wrong :)

oh ,and in these 4 days? How about my fish and leather coral?

RO/DI water is .88 cents a gallon at walmart. will help bunches and kill the lights. tap water is full of phosphates.

RO/DI water is .88 cents a gallon at walmart. will help bunches and kill the lights. tap water is full of phosphates.

Ok, all lights off... I hope fish can see in dark... I will leave the aquarium for three days without water changes and lights

Back