Help!! Miracle mud EVERYWHERE!

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
Hi guys... I think I've done something stupid, and I need help. I have a 29g biocube, and I've seen all kinds of articles about people converting the center chamber in the back to a fuge. I decided to do this... and instead of using LR, I followed the recommendation of LFS, and got miracle mud for it.

SO, I cleaned out all the bioballs from the center chamber, and took the false floor out. Then I put the mud in, dropped a clump of chaeto in, and let it sit for about an hour. Then I turned my pumps back on. Upon doing this, tons of the mud spewed into my display tank (through the pump) and won't quit. So now my tank has mud-stuff all over it, and it's cloudy, and every time i turn the pump on it just gets worse.

What do I do?? I've got 1 percula in there and some inverts, not sure if I can leave the pump off long enough for the mud to settle down, without hurting the livestock....

Thanks in advance!!

Whats happened,is the flow rate through there is too much for the mud to stay put.
What you'll need to do is clean all the mud out of the chamber.Then let everything run so that what stays suspended will get caught in the filter section.
Even though those pumps are small,the water being forced through those small chambers has quiet a bit of force from being squeezed through there.Makes it just about impossible to use sand or mud for the fuge.

Yeah, I've also never heard of sand or mud being an acceptable substitute for the back chambers... Live rock rubble would be better. I'd do what Yote says, try to clean out as much by hand as you can then wait for the rest to settle out. Adding a sponge somewhere in the back to filter out the particulates should help immensely...

The cloudiness shouldn't harm your animals if it doesn't last more than a day or two. Hopefully it will settle out quickly.

Back