HELP! My fish are breathing too fast.

nensley

Reefing newb
Something is going on with my fish. I have a Blue Chromis and a Cardinalfish. They have been fine. I have had them for 3 or 4 weeks. The only thing that has happened is I added a new powerhead yesterday. And the day before I didn't realize but my cat must've bumped the cord and unplugged the heater. The temp was 74. They both ate fine this morning, but just now I put a tiny bit of Brine Shrimp in there to see if they would eat. The Chromis did, the Cardinal fish did not. But the cardinal has never been an aggressive eater, but he has always eaten. AARGH!!!! :frustrat:

Can anybody help me? Could the powerhead be causing them stress?

My levels are all great!! Temp is fine now. 78 degrees like normal.

ETA: The chromis looks like he has "dark spots" on his body. Almost like bruises. The cardinal fish looks normal.

Last edited:
A temperature drop to 74 shouldn't have done anything to them. I don't think anything is wrong. With my chromis, they look like they have dark blotches or bruises on them at night or under the moonlights. It's highly unlikely that the powerhead is causing them stress. I'd just keep an eye on them and not worry too much about it.

The new power head shouldnt cause any trouble.
About all you can do is watch them for signs of stress.

Well the Chromis is dead. The Cardinal will not eat. I guess it is a matter of time for him too. I think I am done with this...

I'm also brand new to this hobby, but I think you might be throwing the towel in too quick. What about your water? Where are you getting it? I was advised by the good people on this board to use RO/DI water, which I'm doing - it's laboratory quality pure (99.9%). If you're using water from the tap, there could be all kinds of disolved minerals, heavy metals, etc (I live in San Francisco, and the water main in front of my house dates back to before the '06 quake). Since all your "regular" parameters appear normal - I suspect you have something toxic (i.e., heavy metal) building up and finally killing your fish.

I'm also brand new to this hobby, but I think you might be throwing the towel in too quick. What about your water? Where are you getting it? I was advised by the good people on this board to use RO/DI water, which I'm doing - it's laboratory quality pure (99.9%). If you're using water from the tap, there could be all kinds of disolved minerals, heavy metals, etc (I live in San Francisco, and the water main in front of my house dates back to before the '06 quake). Since all your "regular" parameters appear normal - I suspect you have something toxic (i.e., heavy metal) building up and finally killing your fish.

I know that I may be jumping the gun, but I am so frustrated. I was making my own water (tap water), but I did get some from the LFS the time before last. But the LFS is 40 minutes from my house so I can't always just run over there. What are some other options for me to get good quality water that I can use to make up saltwater at home? I CANNOT spend a lot more money. I have so much invested already. I just can't justify spending a lot more.

Unfortunately having any hobby can be expensive. Even if it is a 29 or 30g tank. I just lost everything in my tank while I was away for business. I was completely devistated and frustrated unfortunately, it's just part of it. I keep five 5g jugs of RO/DI water on hand not because it's a long distance for me to go get it it's just basically cause I'm lazy and don't like to make a lot of trips to Culligan to get my water. If you have the space I'd just keep massive amounts of water on hand. I don't think you should give up yet. I know it's expensive and it can get frustrating but you need to decide if you can commit to it or not.

Unfortunately having any hobby can be expensive. Even if it is a 29 or 30g tank. I just lost everything in my tank while I was away for business. I was completely devistated and frustrated unfortunately, it's just part of it. I keep five 5g jugs of RO/DI water on hand not because it's a long distance for me to go get it it's just basically cause I'm lazy and don't like to make a lot of trips to Culligan to get my water. If you have the space I'd just keep massive amounts of water on hand. I don't think you should give up yet. I know it's expensive and it can get frustrating but you need to decide if you can commit to it or not.

Sara,
Where do you get your water? From a LFS or do you buy it somewhere else? Thanks

I just went down to the local Culligan store and bought water there. I can take my empty jugs in and get them filled up for hardly anything. I didn't want to mess with trying to "purifiy" my own water. We have so much chlorine and our water is really hard here. I also have a patient who works there so he helped me out.

I know walmart even has a spot where you can get RO water refills. I've done that before too. It all worked out for me really well until I left and that was all because of a major temp rise while I was away, it wasn't my water quality.

Yep you can get RO water from Walmart. Also most grocery stores carry bottled RO water, you just have to read the labels. You can also buy your own RO unit and make it at home.

Thanks. Sara, I wasn't familiar with Culligan. We don't have that store around here. I will buy some good water from Walmart and try that. Of course, I don't want to give up. But I lost a whole tank of fish about 6 months ago, so I know how you feel Sara. I thought I had everything under control. I hadn't even thought about my water having toxic stuff in it. The LFS said it would be fine to use my tap water as long as we treated it with PRIME first. Of course, I should know by now not to trust the LFS completely. :grumble: It just makes me nuts because I want to be successful at this!!!

You can also buy a 6 stage RO/DI unit with 125 gallon a day capacity, from ebay for about $200. this will save you lots of $ and headaches. I have one hooked into my fridge for me to drink then I, T it off and have a 30 gallon trash can that I fill in a day, for my water changes and use a 2 gallon bucket everyother day for top off.

unfortunatly this is an expensive hobby, but if you can buy the right equipment up front it will save you tons of money, animals and time in the future.

Nensley,
Hate it about your fish.But it happens.There are those of that have had set back,and then there are those of us that are going to have set backs.
I personally use water from wal-mart.It cost 33 cents a gallon to refill my jugs from there culigan machine.And since my wife goes to wally world at least 3 times a week,I have her fill em up for me.

I just got home from Walmart and they had 4 different types of water-- distilled, "drinking", nursery with added fluoride, and spring. None of them specifically said "RO" water. Is distilled what I am looking for? I guess I will look at Ingles. That's about the extent of my choices around here.

The wal-mart brand distilled will work fine.I have used it in the past,and i'll probably be buying 90 gallons of it this next week.

The wal-mart brand distilled will work fine.I have used it in the past,and i'll probably be buying 90 gallons of it this next week.

Ok great! I know all the bad stuff is removed from the water, but is there any need to supplement anything that has been removed? In other words, do I need to add anything at all to the water other than salt?

Thanks!!!!

Just salt.
Just get the ones with the blue lids,I think its great value or something like that.If you'll read the label,its actually RO water.

Back