HELP - my friend fed my fish sald dressing!

Seadawk

Reefing newb
OK, when you are done laughing, i need some help. He came in late from a flight across country and tried to help with some obviously bad instructions when I was out of town. He fed them my homemade salad dressing. IT was about 3 oz of red wine vinegar and about 5-6 oz of canola oil, salt, peper, and probably half a shallot. Yes, it is very good to humans.

I came home and noticed the skimmer was going crazy, making big chunks of what looks like feta or cottage cheese. (THere was none in my dressing.) I had recently broke down one of my two 65 gallon aquariums on the same sump and was between fish after a big bout with fish death (but that's another story).

My questin is what to do? Should I break them down, throw away all the hoses, clean the crap out of everthing and start over? or clean the glass, and do some water changes. I am jsut a little concerned with the oil in the water and whether it will coat everything and always create film.

I could break them down now before I add more fish, but hate to go through all that.

I need advice....:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

Uhhh yum?

Considering it's just food oil, I don't think there's anything in there that will hurt the fish. I would guess that it will get pulled out by the skimmer eventually. I would stick with your plan to do water changes and not take your equipment apart just yet.

I agree on best intro thread ever. Still shaking my head. Ate some of a new batch of the dressing tonight. Funny thing is...it needed salt!!

Anyway, I broke them down, it was an oil mess. Probably going to set them up again, but I am considering splitting the system and making one a reef tank. But that is a different thread. Thanks for the welcome thread. Perhaps someone can hyperlink some good "should I do a reef tank? " threads ...

Hey...just to let everyone know, I ended up breaking them down and putting them away. Set them back up about six months ago. Had to replace a lot of stuff. $$$ It was funny though now....

LOL Still one of the best intros ever ;) Welcome back and glad you did not give up the hobby! You should have taken pics of your appetizer fish!!!!! Oh, the funny captions we could have come up with LOL "The real way to make fish tartare" :mrgreen:

Back