HELP!!! Need Diatom Eater!!!

Ok...I should be fine... I did a water change, cleaned my skimmer, my filter sock, and then added my Aquaclear 802 dead center and angled 45deg towards the glass. Also took my rio 800 and 180 and placed then facing forward about 3 inches above the sand... Now everything is in suspension, so hopefully this will help... If sales are good this week I will be ordering my Koralia's and replacing my rio's... Does ne one know where the cheapest place online is to find the Koralia's... I have seen them on Marinedepot for 37.99 to 49.99... Can ne one beat that price?

Drsfostersmith they are on sale not sure what size you need. Pump one is 30.99 up to 50.99 for pump 4.

Really Astreas and Trochus snails are the best diatom eaters.Sorry,everything else would starve to death relying on diatoms only as a source of food.Premium Aquatics has the Koralias for 29.99 to 46.99.

i used phosphate sponge from kent marine for my diatom out break in my tank was diatom free in less than 2 days but follow directions cuz like a sponge only absorbs so much ileft in 1 1/2 days in my overfow box so all water passed through it

In my opinion, if you have diatoms, you must have a source of silicates somewhere in your system since diatoms require silica for the growth of their "shells".

If it were me, I'd try to find the source of the silica, and remove that source. If you don't you could quite possibly continue to see diatom outbreaks once the silicates build up over time. In other words, why only temporarily fix a problem, when you could fix it for good?

There are some other tangents that I'm not sure of, like the age of the system. If it's a new tank, I've heard outbreaks like yours. But if you have seen or continue to see outbreaks of diatoms, I feel sure that there is a constant source of silica in your system.

I could be WAYYY off in left field on this one, which is where I live it seems like, but that's just my two cents.

If you have the regular sand (play sand) then thats a silica based sand.Which means it can and will leach the silica into your system feeding the diatoms.

no it's argonite sand... I wouldn't put play sand in my tank, not that there is ne thing wrong with that for those people that have it in there tank. It was definately due to not enough flow over the sand... I think that I am just going to go with 2 maxi 1200's and put them on a wavemaker... Can ne one recommend a good one?

Back