Help needed!!! :help!:

Samhain is correct. You should not be able to detect ammonia or nitrites in your tank. It is as we thought. You did not cycle the tank. You cycle it and monitor the water with testing kits and once ammonia and nitrites spike THEN go back down to 0 THEN you add fish. It appears you added fish a bit too early. SOME fish can live thru this, people have made very hardy damsels, etc live thru this. SOME will make it SOME will not. One fish could be hardier than the other This could be why 1 fish is doing poorly and the other "seems ok." Either way, it is very, very mean to do to the fish.

hey my tank has cycled.. im not THAT new... Look.. when i added fish - my parameters were perfect.. Now i dont know - i did a water change yesterday - (nearly 50%).. will do another one today..

I dont know if it can change the parameters of water.. - i found today 2 corpses of hermit crabs .. ( got killed by 1 boss hermit.. :// )

Guys, thanks for your interest . I will do a water change.
Kelz88 - i guess you're right ..

What about the blue legged hermit? He killed 2 electric blue hermits in 1 day (the day they arrived) He seems extremely aggressive.. and he is lazy.. :/.. While the others were really helpful that day.. What should i do?

Yeah, I don't know. A week ago you didn't have a testing kit. You just got one a few days ago? So I'm not sure how you monitored a cycle. A cycle takes a while, usually 2-3 weeks. You have to test the water every day for days and days to see the levels spike then drop then do a water change. AND last we heard you were putting calcium and other things in without testing.
Also, you have a 15 gallon tank which is pretty small for 2 clowns. Especially in a brand new tank.

I won't fuss about the two clowns in a 15, as I have 2 in a 10, and I added them at the same time. That being said, I tested my tank every 2-3 days during the cycle (which lasted 3 weeks using mostly dry rock with a few pieces of live and a chunk of raw fish). I saw the cycle progress through all the stages. Then, and only then, did I add fish. Perhaps the OP did this, although if the testing kit was only obtained a week ago, it would be pretty dang impossible to watch the entire cycle.....

Also, I did daily water changes for a week after adding the clowns to eliminate the potential byproducts of any mini-cycle that might have occurred (an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure). And I still do 20-30% water changes every 3-4 days, as I am not running a skimmer. Throughout the stocking process, all my levels remained at 0, and they are still 0.

As to water quality not being an issue, as many others have pointed out, fish are individuals. Some are more sensitive than others to waste products, just as some people are more sensitive to air quality. Some people get severe asthma issues if they so much as wander near a diesel engine, and millions of people live in Mexico City with no asthma issues whatsoever. That doesn't mean that the air quality of Mexico City is good; it's the most polluted air in the world! It just means that SOME people can live in it. But it certainly doesn't compare to the pristine air of uninhabited mountain wilderness! So saying that water quality can't be an issue because one fish is doing well is really denying the facts, especially since there are detectable levels of toxic waste products in the water. It just means that one fish was probably already harboring an illness that then manifested when that fish was exposed to poor water quality and the stress of a move. Your other fish is also being affected by the poor water quality, although apparently not in a visible way. However, it will most likely have a shorter life span, and it may succumb to the same infections your other fish is suffering through because it is living in a toxic environment that is stressing its immune system.

Clean your water up, treat your fish for the appropriate illness, perhaps try a hyposalinity environment for a while to kill other possible parasites/infectious agents, and pay attention to what the people here advise! We aren't out to sell you anything or make any money off you. We care about you, your tank, and your fish friends, and ultimately we want your reefkeeping adventure to be a success!

hey my tank has cycled.. im not THAT new...

You have detectable ammonia and nitrite and you think that your tank has cycled? Someone has some reading to do.

I'm also going to add here that this is exactly why you need a test kit, they arent optional

You can stop dosing your tank, it wont accomplish anything until the ammonia and the nitrite have been dealt with

Ok, now ppl i would like you to listen ..
This is not my first tank. I had one before and it was a successful one despite the fact i had no experience. I did one mistake though.. I brought once a sick organism (a sponge) And its toxin spreaded rapidly , killing nearly every living thing..(dont worry i saved some of them). I decided to set up my tank again - doing everything exactly as previously -except the " pathogen" thing..I used same things, was accurate with my doses. So... after a while my tank was ready - CYCLED - without a doubt! So dont try to tell me i put the fish too soon - NO. I tested my water.. It was ok. ..I brought the fish (2).They were small - like 3cm or less..But as soon as I placed them in my tank i realised that one of them had that "cotton thing" on its pelvic fin.. Wasn't sure it was fin rot but it really was.. I went to my LFS and told him about it. He said it was fin rot and gave me a medication (for general use - not only fin rot) He said i said i shouldnt use it if i have corals or anemones. I hadnt had any so i took it and in the evening gave him antibiotics - as he adviced me ( the fish was feeling horrible ). I did some test the following day and found out something was wrong cycle was um.. disrupted? So i did a 25% water change, and the next day another 25% .. I was using the medicine all the time (right dosage..) I really dont know what caused my cycle to disrupt to suddenly.. I would like you to stop telling me i should have tested the water, i should have changed it . I really did it! And came here to take some advice and not to be blamed for something i didnt do..

To SarahSmile : We have met before in my other threads and i dont know if you can remember i told you my story - i explained to you everything - i couldnt test the water then and wanted to add fish - (as i told you i was sure about my cycle) and i was right. But then i didnt want to risk so borrowed money and did that damn tests just to be sure - parameters were perfect. Added fish and the problems began as soon as i realised one of them was sick - and as soon as i started using medicine.. So dear Sarah - please stop telling me my tank didnt cycle and that i added fish too soon because as you all know the cycle can be disrupted for different reasons and i was hoping we will think of anything together but im disappointed now cuz no one is really listening and .. do you really think that 60 liters is not enough for two amphiprion ocellaris? I dont think so.. Concluding.. please if you really wanna help me start listening and not reading 2 comments above and making conclusions yourself..

To Samhain : I agree that fish are individuals. But still there are some things they have in common as for example oxygen level. But thats not eht case. The prob is that the litlle friend is fine - they are in the same tank since fin rot istn contagious and the reason why little changes in water parameters can affect his behaviour is that the bigger one is sick and has weaker immune system now.. The parameters i have now arent perfect but they arent killing them.. I was so worried about the guy, i talked to my LFS today and told him whats his behaviour.. he told me he is "resisting" the sickness and will be behaving like this (ive never had a fish with fin rot ). I did and keep doing 25% water changes daily and dont know what happened to my cycle, maybe the meds?.. So again.. try to listen and ask..btw you answer looked like you really wanted to help and i appreciate that..

To Northstar24 : Thanks for reply but next time if you are willing to help - read the whole case - everything and try to find what is really going on and not just look at the parameters and conclude my tank didnt cycle. If thats your help - thanks a lot! Try a little harder at helping ppl - i always try. And BTW it seems i didnt do your h/w i guess.. you should know its not that u cycle, add fish and everything is aaallriightt . No. Cycles can be "disturbed" and they always are at some point - on the way to stability. So mr. clever tell me why has it changed? Why is it constantly changing? (with water changes too) something causes it and i wanna find out what but no one's willing to answer this question..

Thanks for ur interest.

Luna I really don't know what to tell you. I remember your first thread, you really wanted to add fish but hadn't tested your water at all. You were sure it had cycled because you'd given it time but you hadn't actually tested it through the process to see the ammonia level rise and then fall, the nitrite level rise and then fall, and then the nitrate level rise. After a lot of cajoling from people here you finally took a sample of your water to be tested and were told it was fine, and so you bought your fish. Having someone check your water and telling you its fine for fish is very different than checking your water through the course of a cycle and being patient for the cycle to end. Then you saw your fish had white fuzz on it and immediately started dosing with antibiotics even while asking here what was making your fish sick. I also recall you were dosing other things in the tank too without testing (calcium and something else). You say you have experience and have had a successful tank in the past, but I have yet to see a single decision you have made that gives me confidence that you have even the faintest clue what you are doing. People here are trying to help, but at some point we get tired of banging our heads against a wall when the person just ignores advice and repeatedly asserts they know what they are doing and we are wrong. I hope you take a serious step back and actually invest some time into researching how to successfully run a tank before doing anything else. I hope your fish make it and that you ultimately do have a great tank, but actions speak louder than words so time will only tell.

Thats why i say ppl arent listening... I bought an ILL FISH .. and i was asking for advice - any additional info..I consulted with my fish seller he adviced me antibiotics and that medication and im coming here to ask for help and advice and not blaming me for todays paremeteres while im seeking the cause of the change! Omg.. PLEASE read alll the thread if you are willing to help.. thats all i need. Thanks...

Ok, now ppl i would like you to listen ..
This is not my first tank. I had one before and it was a successful one despite the fact i had no experience. I did one mistake though.. I brought once a sick organism (a sponge) And its toxin spreaded rapidly , killing nearly every living thing..(dont worry i saved some of them). I decided to set up my tank again - doing everything exactly as previously -except the " pathogen" thing..I used same things, was accurate with my doses. So... after a while my tank was ready - CYCLED - without a doubt! So dont try to tell me i put the fish too soon - NO. I tested my water.. It was ok. ..I brought the fish (2).They were small - like 3cm or less..But as soon as I placed them in my tank i realised that one of them had that "cotton thing" on its pelvic fin.. Wasn't sure it was fin rot but it really was.. I went to my LFS and told him about it. He said it was fin rot and gave me a medication (for general use - not only fin rot) He said i said i shouldnt use it if i have corals or anemones. I hadnt had any so i took it and in the evening gave him antibiotics - as he adviced me ( the fish was feeling horrible ). I did some test the following day and found out something was wrong cycle was um.. disrupted? So i did a 25% water change, and the next day another 25% .. I was using the medicine all the time (right dosage..) I really dont know what caused my cycle to disrupt to suddenly.. I would like you to stop telling me i should have tested the water, i should have changed it . I really did it! And came here to take some advice and not to be blamed for something i didnt do..

To SarahSmile : We have met before in my other threads and i dont know if you can remember i told you my story - i explained to you everything - i couldnt test the water then and wanted to add fish - (as i told you i was sure about my cycle) and i was right. But then i didnt want to risk so borrowed money and did that damn tests just to be sure - parameters were perfect. Added fish and the problems began as soon as i realised one of them was sick - and as soon as i started using medicine.. So dear Sarah - please stop telling me my tank didnt cycle and that i added fish too soon because as you all know the cycle can be disrupted for different reasons and i was hoping we will think of anything together but im disappointed now cuz no one is really listening and .. do you really think that 60 liters is not enough for two amphiprion ocellaris? I dont think so.. Concluding.. please if you really wanna help me start listening and not reading 2 comments above and making conclusions yourself..

To Samhain : I agree that fish are individuals. But still there are some things they have in common as for example oxygen level. But thats not eht case. The prob is that the litlle friend is fine - they are in the same tank since fin rot istn contagious and the reason why little changes in water parameters can affect his behaviour is that the bigger one is sick and has weaker immune system now.. The parameters i have now arent perfect but they arent killing them.. I was so worried about the guy, i talked to my LFS today and told him whats his behaviour.. he told me he is "resisting" the sickness and will be behaving like this (ive never had a fish with fin rot ). I did and keep doing 25% water changes daily and dont know what happened to my cycle, maybe the meds?.. So again.. try to listen and ask..btw you answer looked like you really wanted to help and i appreciate that..

To Northstar24 : Thanks for reply but next time if you are willing to help - read the whole case - everything and try to find what is really going on and not just look at the parameters and conclude my tank didnt cycle. If thats your help - thanks a lot! Try a little harder at helping ppl - i always try. And BTW it seems i didnt do your h/w i guess.. you should know its not that u cycle, add fish and everything is aaallriightt . No. Cycles can be "disturbed" and they always are at some point - on the way to stability. So mr. clever tell me why has it changed? Why is it constantly changing? (with water changes too) something causes it and i wanna find out what but no one's willing to answer this question..

Thanks for ur interest.

Acutally, if you ask around these forums, I have helped many posters, and have also been helped by many more.

But just so that I understand the situation:

You cyceld a tank and was sure it was cylced somehow, even though you thought a test kit was optional

You were dosing calcium (and alkalinity I assume as well) even though you didnt have testing kits for them

You were convinced that your water parameters were okay (again, without a test kit) so you decide to add fish

In the process of shopping for fish for a tank you had no business putting fish in, you knowingly bought an ill fish (that is what I gathered from your last post)

You then start dosing medications without getting confirmation on what the fish is sick with

You finally get a test kit, and discover that you have detectable ammonia and nitrite

Am I missing anything?

Here is how you resolve this situation:
1) Stop dosing EVERYTHING
2)Do water changes until ammonia and nitrite are reading 0
3) Post photos here or on wet web meda and get confirmation of what is affecting your fish
4)Once water parameters are under control, treat the fish once the malady has been congfirmed. Treating in a hospital tank is preferable to treating directly in the display tank
5) NEVER dose your tank for something you are not actively testing for....EVER

And finally, don't post here asking for help, and then try telling everyone that you know what you doing, and none of us know what we're talking about - its not going to be productive for anyone involved

If everybody always knew what they were doing, there would be no need for forums.

You keep saying that you know what you are doing when people try to give you advice. So why are you having all these problems if that's the case? And why are you asking for help if you know what you are doing?

One of the main problems with fish medications ( besides copper ) is they kill off the beneficial bacteria in the tank.Without that bacteria,or if it's lacking,then you'll get ammonia and nitrites. ( we all remember the ammonia cycle right? )

I'm betting that's the reason for the ammonia and nitrite readings.

As for the white puff on your clowns tail,I'd almost bet that it's just fish lice. Which is just a parasite that you can actually remove with your finger nail. The tattered fins could be from the clown fanning the substrate and scratching against stuff to try to remove the lice.

Thats what i was waiting for.. you confirmed my theory.. i was pretty sure that the medication changed parameters..

Now my clownie is in a quarantine tank. He's doing well so far. Again.. i had to find out what to use as me LFS couldn really help me. They told me to buy melafix. I did. i thought it would solve the prob but it didn't. In this case fin rot is severe and i needed different meds. soo concluding - special thanks to YOTE for confirming my theory.. now i know its true cuz i stopped using meds in my main tank, put carbon sponge and now the medicine is gone and my problems too. Parameters are perfect. everything stable... oh... :) thanks for your interest ppl. :) Regards from clownmama, :)

and ppl.. please dont get me wrong. I was desperately trying to do something to stop her pain.. :/ ( she seemed to be in pain then) . I wanted to do something to get my parameters right.. water changes didnt help... i did 25% water changes everyday for a few days and parameters just changed for a while and then got back to worse.. so i expected that u ll help me solve this.. i gave infos.. i was sure about my cycle..you think it wasnt true? so explaint to me how the hell as soon as i removed the medicine everything got back to normal? .. to stability.?

Back