HELP NEEDED... Want to start my 54gal corner bow front tank.

exormanuel82

Reefing newb
Ok guys & gals...first of all thanks for reading this threat.

I'm buying a 54 gal. corner bow front tank from Aqueon: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/013/26413_400wh.jpg. First I would like you to tell me what should I need and in order of priorities:

1. tank,
2. stand,
3. filter, (mini-reef or sump refugium?)
4. protein skimmer,
5. chiller,
6. lights,

what else?

But the question that I would really like you guys to help me is, what LED lights and fixture would it go with this tank? The shape it is unusual and I can't find anything perfect for it... my wife doesn't want a fixture where I hang it to the dealing, but what ideas and/or things you guys could suggest?

I would really appreciate all your help.

Thanks!!!!

I have the AI Sol and it is great! Very little heat even mounted directly to the tank hood. Do you live in a really hot place? A chiller is one of those things that most people think they need and then dont as long as your not running really hot lights (LEDs run with very little heat). They are a good thing to have, but IMO not as necessary as like a calcium reactor. Also, TEST KITS. I would probably put that right after filter because without kits, you have no idea what is going on with your tank.

You will need 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon as stated. I'm not sure what the dimensions are of the corner tank, but if I recall correctly they are an odd shape, so putting lights directly on the rim of the tank may not be a very realistic option. You may need to either hang them, or fab up some sort of bracket that comes off the rear of the stand and then over the tank

As far as LED's go, stick with a name brand, proven fixture (AI Sol / Nano or EcoTech Radion are the two primary ones) or a DIY kit if you're handy/electrically inclined. There are a lot of sub par Chinese knock offs on the market right now. The other option would be several PAR38 LED bulbs on some sort of light bar

Ok guys & gals...first of all thanks for reading this threat.

I'm buying a 54 gal. corner bow front tank from Aqueon: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/013/26413_400wh.jpg. First I would like you to tell me what should I need and in order of priorities:

1. tank,
2. stand,
3. filter, (mini-reef or sump refugium?)
4. protein skimmer,
5. chiller,
6. lights,

what else?

But the question that I would really like you guys to help me is, what LED lights and fixture would it go with this tank? The shape it is unusual and I can't find anything perfect for it... my wife doesn't want a fixture where I hang it to the dealing, but what ideas and/or things you guys could suggest?

I would really appreciate all your help.

Thanks!!!!

First off, no threats, we are all friends here :mrgreen:

1. tank, you have one, is it reef ready? Drilled? or will you be using a HOB overflow?
2. stand,Find one that works, both functionally and is pleasing to the eye
3. filter, (mini-reef or sump refugium?) Go with a sump, start looking into return pumps as well. Maybe something like a Mag 5
4. protein skimmer,Find a high quality one, rated for about 110 gallons, not a hang on since you will be running a sump
5. chiller, Do you need one? Study the the ambient temp of your house, most likely you wont even need it
6. lights, For your tank, I'd suggest the Kesil LED's. they run about 265.00 a piece, get them with the goose neck hangers and you will have that tank banging!

Back