help no lights!

jesse

Not That Kind Of Reefer
i have yellow polyps, some zoas, and mushrooms im my 40 gal. the lights are from a biocube because i was gonna temporarily use them untill i get ones for the size of the tank. but i am going to sell the biocube tomorrow and im not sure if i will get the lights tomorrow so how long can the tank last without the lights?

You'll be fine for a few days, you probably could even go a week..especially if everything is healthy, they will think its hurricane season:question:

I would'nt say permanent, but a slow death can begin along with infections. The zooxanthellae that live in the corals will begin to die from lack of light & they are partly responsible for feeding the coral. They also play a large role in providing those beautiful colors that we love. So after a week or 2, it is likely that the coral will begin to lose color & eventually start dying. Also, bacterial infections have been known to set in from long periods with no light. Iodine solutions usually rid you of that problem, but stress the coral somewhat. I hope you've been dosing with iodine atleast once a week. Iodine keeps everything healthy & a healthy headstart is what you need in this hobby. Good Luck

Last edited:
Yes I have been putting iodine but it said 12 drops for 50 gals and mine is forty so I usually try to underdose than over dose.

Do not dose iodine unless you are testing for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never ever ever ever! dose something you arent testing for and can see a proven need for.

Doing regular water changes should keep your iodine in check, and over dosing is very harmful to your corals and other inverts.

i know thats why i dont do it very often i have done the research about it. im not gonna harm my little guys

Back