Help! Octo nw-150 wont make bubbles!

Fastlight

Semper FI
Hey im sure this belongs in the filter section but this one gets more attention. I filled my sump and decided to put salt water in there oceanic and got a specific readin of 1.024 (first try!) but i cant seem to get my octo to make bubbles. I was told it only needs salt water to make it so whats up!!! Ive got about 11in of water in that area...should i raise it some more? Any quick help would be great. :grumble: Oh and my heater doesnt seem to be working...figures

If you blow into the airline do you see any bubbles? If the pump is running and there is no air bubbles inside the skimmer either the airline is hooked up wrong or it's blocked.

ccapt your a gosh darn genious....i blew into the line ant kaboom. must of not been able to draw air into the line. holy hell!!!

also the water height is 8.5in and the riser pipe is lowered all the way. The bubbles do not go up into the collection cup. Do i need protein in there for it to do that. I even tried to raise the riser pipe all the way. It raised the bubbles a little but not alot

The riser lets you adjust the water level INSIDE the skimmer. You want to keep the water level where the water ends and bubbles begin at about the neck, slightly above the part where the body tapers up.
Higher water level is skimming wet and a lower water level is skimming dry.

If this skimmer is new, it will take a few weeks before it really starts to skim. It needs to break in.

so do i want a more wet foam or dry? I ve tried raising the riser pipe all the way up and it got real watery but still no bubbles in the collection cup. I lower it and real bubbly and then the level drops off. and the body of the skimmer does not tapper off. I do have a black cone inside this thing what does that do? I want to make sure i have this thing going well before i put my tank on top cause then everything becomes more difficult to adjust

Would it raise the water in the skimmer any if the pump wasnt so deep?

not sure right now the skimmer is sitting in 8.5 in of water. it was originally at 11 so im not sure if i should keep the skimmer in the 8.5 or go with the 11...im thinking about taking it back to 11 to see how it runs seeing as i now have bubbles being made what do you all think?

I dont about the octo skimmers.But with my CSS skimmers,If the pump is deeper than
4",they wont produce bubbles.
Dont know if it'll help.But its worth a thought.

Ive got bubbles now sorry maybe im confusing you. But i cant seem to get bubbles to go into the collection cup thats why i was wondering since there is no protein in there if it even would. i did read on here that the octo are goo from 8-10in of water. Im uploading pic now and should be in my build section soon its so funny i just got my pump recirc in the sump now and the area where the pump is is making a wave motion i wonder whats causing that?

Ummmmmmm...the back cone thing, you have it upside down. It should point up ^ and the tube from the cup should be inside the cone. The water line/bubbles should be about 1-2" above the bottom of the cone.

If this skimmer is brand new, as I said before, it will take a few weeks, up to 3 weeks, before it prodices good bubbles and skimmate. It must break-in, which is just letting all the manufacturing oils work their way off the acrylic.

Yote, the depth of the pump doesn't make any difference as far as bubble production long as it's around 8-10" underwater. The only thing having it deeper is it pulls more wattage.

Last edited:
oops i sure did have it upside down..thanks again capt. and its a good thing i dont have to bring up the skimmer any more...i can just barely get the cup of im talking less than 1/8th in room! plumbing in the rest of the tank today! probably gonna fill her up and leak test her today. I dont have sand but oh well.

both my skimmer sit in 8 inches of water, most in sump skimmers recommend 6 to 10 inches but i found both my euroreef and octopus skimmer performed very well at 8 to 8.5 inches of water. make sure once month or not to much longer afterwords to keep your skimmer clean that means take your pump out and unclog that hole were your air sucks into pump air bubbles it will clog up with salt creep and your tank will start going south from bad water quality, i've been lazy and done it and learned lesson the hard way battling hair algae. now i clean both skimmers monthly and once every three months put in bucket with half water and vinegar to really clean up skimmer.

Back