help please, My Demsels are on a fight

najfri21

Reefing newb
I have 2 clowns, 2 hawks , 1 small yellow tail demsel and 1 big domino demsel in a 34g ResSea Max, for now alomost 6 months...they have all been very good..i always used to read that Demsels fight alot...but mine didnt....BUT to my horror today just as I woke up I saw that the black Domino Demsel was running after my Yellow tail demsel and my God...the poor little fish is all like scratched up n all....I didnt know what to do so rt away i fished out the yellow tail for now and have him in a bucket ...the Black Domino is sooo damn fast I can't get a hold of him...Iam so upset... any one who had an experience like this and if someone can tell me how to take care of the Yellow tail demsel would be soooooooooooooo appriciated:):helm2:

009.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

get rid of that domino damsel they are the most agressive of them all i had one that did great in mu tank but i added him last then i put another fish in and it was attacked. i had to tear my whole tank apart to get it out. as gor you yellowtail let him see if he recovers i don't know what else to tell ya

Ahh that poor little guy. Definitly keep them seperated. I would also keep him out of the tank for a while until he gets better, the last thing you want him to do is die in your tank or worse get parasites becouse he is wounded. Put a pvc pip in the bucket with him so he can hide and relax.

Treat the yellow tail with a medication called "Melafix" while he is in quarantine. This will help fight off any bacterial infections he might get from his injuries. Also soak his food in garlic extract and Selcon (a vitamin additive) before you feed him, this will help boost his immune system. He may recover, but he looks pretty badly beaten up.

You have a lot of aggressive fish for a pretty small tank, I think that unless you get rid of the mean fish (like the domino damsel), the same thing will happen to the yellow tail over and over again until he is eventually killed. That is the nature of damsels, and yes, dominoes are one of the most aggressive kinds.

Good luck, keep us posted on how he does.

hi...Thankx for the advice everyone....well my yellow tail is i think getting a tiny bit strong since it is swiming and not sitting, iam soaking frozen food in Zoe since my LFS didnt have Selcon...she's not eagerly eating thu...i wanted to get some help on setting up a hospital tank since i think the fish will do good ...i have no idea how to get it up as i always had a read made system...any tips please???

A hospital tank or quarantine tank is easy to set up. You'll just need a small heater and powerhead for circulation, no rock, and no sand. Just a piece of PVC is fine to give the fish some shelter. You can medicate the fish in the quarantine tank.

you have one thing going for you. the yellow tail is about $6. losing a fish of that nature is much easier than a $120 emperor angelfish (I lost two in a weeks time a while back)

a 10 gallon is just fine for a QT. I would give serious thought to getting rid of the domino they are just bastards, put and simple. yellow tail and yellow bellied damsels and much easier to get along

-Doc

Hi Doc and Biff...thankx for the help on setting up a QT...guess what..the day i set it up..next morning the yellowtail died.... and iam really sorry for Doc, your fish also...I guess the only way to get my domino is to take apart my tank and then catch him like daughtery said....:(

sorry for your loss. domino damsels are demons. They do fine if they are kept with fish that will beat them down, like angelfish, triggers, tangs, etc. they are just mean fish. Good luck getting him out. It may be worth it to just break down the rocks and toss him. Give him the ol' plastic- bag- on- the- cement- salute. I am partial to it. :death:

-Doc

Back