Help Please...

SilverWolf657

Reefing newb
I just started cycling my tank, i just started and i need help picking out my equipment.
What do you think i should get.

I put live sand, salt, and a chromis already tonight. =]
i have one small pump and a standard light on tank, maybe i need to upgrade.

I would take back the chromis ASAP. There's no reason to cycle with a fish -- you will probably just kill it, and that's not right. You can cycle just as effectively using live rock or a bit of fish food.

You will need to upgrade lights if you plan on keeping corals, anemones or clams. In a 46 gallon tank, you should probably get another powerhead as well, you will need more flow.

What are you using for filtration? You should consider a hang-on-back protein skimmer. Also, do you have any live rock? You should have 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon.

Biff & little fish,
ive been helping Malcolm out with his tank! the guys at the LFS today were telling him that he could not cycle without a filter, is that true?
also, i told him to ask you about watts per gallon, amount of live rock to get, MH or HO... maybe you could chime in now?
by the way, you guys are the best =]

Biff & little fish,
ive been helping Malcolm out with his tank! the guys at the LFS today were telling him that he could not cycle without a filter, is that true?
also, i told him to ask you about watts per gallon, amount of live rock to get, MH or HO... maybe you could chime in now?
by the way, you guys are the best =]

You can certainly cycle without a filter! If you use live rock, there is going to be some die off. If you use fish food, it is going to rot. Those processes are going to happen regardless of your filtration set up.

Watts per gallon is outdated as it really depends on the type of light you are looking at. For a 46 gallon tank, I think T5s would be the way to go. What is the length of the tank?

Live rock, you want 1 to 2 lbs per gallon.

You can certainly cycle without a filter! If you use live rock, there is going to be some die off. If you use fish food, it is going to rot. Those processes are going to happen regardless of your filtration set up.

Watts per gallon is outdated as it really depends on the type of light you are looking at. For a 46 gallon tank, I think T5s would be the way to go. What is the length of the tank?

Live rock, you want 1 to 2 lbs per gallon.

its 36in long. also, he got 50lb of live sand. will all that sand let him get less live rock?
im sorry im doing all the talking, but im probably just as excited as him =P

Back