Help Read Quick!!!!

put some fans blowing across the surface of the water on the tank and on the sump if you can, also some bottles of froozen water or bags of ice in the sump or tank will help, just keep an eye on it so you don't cool it to much.

I think he hit it right on the dot..... frozen bottles and clip on fans would be the immediate step

and take off glass tops if you have them on

84 not to high ive seen tanks stay between 82 and 84, i only worry if they get around 86 or higher or change more than 2 degrees in a day. to big and to quick of change in temp can effect your tank.

I have the same problem. My tank gets 80 during day and 75 at night. I have been trying to fix this, but i went out and bought a new nighttime heater. We will see how this works out. Is 80 too high?

80 is not too high. That's around where my tank stays at all the time. Stability is important, if it stays at 80 all the time, your animals will be happier than if it swings six degrees within a 24 hour period.

Ya well i will have to watch it tonight and try to keep it more steady with that new heater set up on my nighttime timer. i hope You got your problem solved nudy6969

You should probably always keep a heater with a min temp set up -- you could accidently leave a window open or something and your tank would get to cold.

i have my heaters on a night timer so it'll only come on at night, it's worked great in keeping it to only a 2-3 degree fluxuation.

Base the night time temperature you maintain on the high temperature you run during the day. You want to keep the temperature from dropping more than 1 or 2 degrees during the night. Shoot for 2 degrees difference unless you have a temperature controller, then go for 1 degree. Draw air across the water, do not blow it across the water. Moist air is dense, a fan will draw dense wet air better than it will blow light dry air. It is the wet dense air you want to move away as it carries the heat removed from the tank by evaporation. It will naturally be replaced by dry air which will accept moisture from the tank etc., etc.. Blow cool room air at the tanks glass as a dead air envelope naturally develops as an insulative barrier around the tanks glass, this will be removed by the moving air causing thermal energy (heat) to pass through the glass faster as it does also not have to now pass through the insulative still air. Isn't thermodynamics grand? The night timer idea for a heater is interesting, I never thought of that use for a timer. Sure makes sense though. Learning something all the time it seems.

Last edited:
Back