Help! Red Dwarf Lionfish not eating.

Zayyy

Reefing newb
Please help, i'm starting to worry.

I purchased my dwarf lion fish about a week ago, from my good LFS every fish i buy is fine from them, they're store #1 in my region.

He won't eat brine shrimp, which i didn't think he would, so i went and purchased feeder fish or "Comets" and he still won't eat them.
When i turn the white aquarium light and leave the blue light on he will swim around lots more, i try and feed him then but no go.

What can i do to try and feed him?

I got my water tested before i purchased him and it was all good, and it still is all good. He's just not interested in eating. Any thoughts?

I have one dead comet and 3 alive ones swimming in another tank.

1. Done.
2. How long do you suggest to let him sit and starve? I'm trying to help him.
3. Yeah i got the smallest possible, and yeah, not interested.

Are the comets like the little goldfish? those are best left in saltwater and aren't healthy for lionfish anyway. Was he eating frozen foods at the lfs? Did you see him eat at all before buying? I've had fish go 3 weeks without eating.

I order my fish in, so as soon as they get a fish in for me, i go in there, and they always have them in the tank, not straight from the bag. I do not have any idea of what he was eating, but i'm off there today i'll go and ask them.

Sorry, i got them from down the road. Now to look at the pictures i know it's not the comets!

But they did say these fish are "Feeder Fish".

They are small enough for the mouth he just won't eat, blah.

If i were you I would start looking into training him to eat frozen. Mine was eating frozen from the start so I cant really help you there. He has gone through stages where he wouldnt eat for 2 weeks though and was fine.

They also arent a healthy long term diet for your fish. He can go several weeks without eating and he will be fine. I would start training to eat frozen right away. Get a uncooked piece of shrimp and some feeder tongs. Then wiggle the shrimp in front him, like it alive and he will eventually learn that the tongs is food.

I would also feed some squid, clams etc. Variety is the spice of life and the key to good nutrition.

The feeders are freshwater..

Well frozen food isn't an option right now, because he has no interests in it.

I was told to try Neon Tetras, so i'l give that a shot, i mean if he's hungry enough i'm sure he will eat soon :/

And he never will have interest in it if you keep feeding him live stuff. He isn't going to starve, just give him some time to settle in.

Another very big reason why you do not want to feed him live fish is that he is going to look at any other fish you put in the tank as lunch.

Back