help save my starfish

lovemystarfish

Reefing newb
I'm on vacation in Miami. this morning we found a starfish in the water (Atlantic
) he is still alive. we made him a little aquarium on the beach. he is n salt water with sand corals and seaweed. we are keeping the temp about 70 degrees and he is moving a lot. how do we fees him? what do we feed him? how do we make him survive?

+1 everyone...you should leave him where you found him. You and/or your sister are doing more harm than good.

I think you should leave it go as well. It's used to being in the ocean with LOTS of room to roam and eat. Putting it in a small aquarium, even for a few days, can stress it badly to the point of death.

People don't know what most starfish eat. There are only a few species that can be successfully kept in this hobby for that reason. For the most part, their diets are a mystery. Put it back where it came from. Unless you know exactly what type of starfish it is (and it could be any one of hundreds of different species), there's no way to say what it eats.

I'll bet thats it illegal to.Most states have laws about catching and holding wild animals and without the proper licenses,you could get yourself into more trouble than you really wont to deal with.

i dont think they are coming back for another post. i would say if they kept it it has already died by now. startfish on the beach.... probably had one foot in the grave anyway

thats one thing I hate about people being able to just run around and tidepool things...

there are SOOOO many people in monterey that just run up, rip a star off the rocks tearing their poor tube feet off, and then take it home in a bucket. >:C I always make it a point to scream 'this is a protected beach! you are illegally taking a protected animal" when they run up the stairs at lovers point. There are some people who actually listen when I causually walk over and am like "wow! thats cool that you found that! where did you find him from?" and then the kids usually show me and I say "I bet its mom will be looking for him! Its almost time for his nap, we should put him back!" lol. the lil kids go for that... the teenagers I just tell them if they don't put it back i'll shove them in the water and see how they like to live without oxygen.

:p leave the wild animals alone!

i dont think they are coming back for another post. i would say if they kept it it has already died by now. startfish on the beach.... probably had one foot in the grave anyway

I guess it's better to be a starfish then....if I were a starfish and had only one foot in the grave, at least I'd still have 4 other ones keeping me here in the land of the living! *LOL* :bounce:

I guess it's better to be a starfish then....if I were a starfish and had only one foot in the grave, at least I'd still have 4 other ones keeping me here in the land of the living! *LOL* :bounce:

That is true.. if it was half in the grave and half out would that make iT A ZOMBIE!!!!!!!:zombie:. i just wanted some excuse to use that smilie

Back