Help Save the Sharks!

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
Hey everyone!!

I had a favor to ask all of you, as you know shark finning is widely popular around the world and many of the US area sharks are suffering dearly because of a few loopholes in the conservation act of 2000.

With the aquariums help we are trying to get those loopholes closed for the act of 2009 and protect the last of the sharks we have!!

So all you have to do is go to this link and fill in your information.

http://www.capwiz.com/mbayaq/issues/alert/?alertid=13768926&type=TA

This is what the message say:

"Dear Senator,

I support the Shark Conservation Act of 2009 (S. 850.)

This bill is an important step towards ending the cruel practice of shark finning – where sharks’ fins are sliced off and their bodies are thrown overboard to die.

The Shark Finning Prohibition Act of 2000 contained several loopholes that have allowed this terrible practice to continue.

The Shark Conservation Act of 2009 attempts to close these loopholes by making it illegal for any vessel to transfer shark fins to the U.S. and requires that all sharks being landed on U.S. shores have their fins attached.

The 2009 bill also allows the U.S. to take action to influence countries that continue the practice of shark finning.

Sharks play a vital role in the ocean ecosystem. Shark finning is severely impacting populations of this important species.

We must act now to end the wasteful practice of shark finning that is threatening many species of shark with extinction.

I urge you to please close the loopholes in the current legislation and enact the Shark Conservation Act of 2009."

so basically it sends it to whoever the senator in your area is and hopefully with enough it will help close the loopholes... if you want pass it around to everyone you know and get these sharks protected! :D

Thank you!

((hopefully this is allowed, and in the right place!))

thank you!!

Theres a lot of cool things we've been doing with white sharks over the past couple of years... we've had 4 in our aquarium so far and they've all been successfully released and tagged to show them headed back down to where we got them from :)

Sent one for me and my girlfriend (I'm sure I'll tell her I did that eventually :lol:)...always up for a cause

Done deal! I feel very passionate about this subject. If I could I would join a campaign with sea shepherd right now to stop overfishing of sharks. sadly my responsibilities do not allow me to just take off with no pay for a few months.

wow thank you all so much! :D we've been trying to fight the loopholes for a while and because of the overfishing here we haven't been able to bring one back in a long time...

as far as how we get our sharks for the MBA they are actually brought to us by fishermen in the baja, CA area that accidently catch them in their fishing nets... we have several different fishers that work with us to keep the sharks moving and outta the nets as soon as possible... then for about a month they live in a 3million gallon pen/net out in the ocean and slowly over the course of that month its size is lessened until its about 1mil gallons (which is the size of our outerbay tank where they live with us)... then they bring them back in a "truck tank" suited especially for the GWS'/other ramventallator sharks and make the 8 hour journey back up to monterey, stopping every 30mins to check on the shark! its quite a long process!!

then when they are finally here they get a quick run down from the docs, moved onto the shark stretcher (we've got through at least 8 of these with the last 2 sharks lol teeth+tarps=holes) and in they go! :D and typically we have them from 4-6 months depending on their growth rate :) its really a neat thing to do... I've gotten to feed our 2nd GWS... it was an AWESOME feelin! i'll have to find and post the video of it :)

Back