Help Save the Sharks!

here is a letter i just got today

Dear James:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me in support of the Shark Conservation Act (S. 850).

As you know, this legislation would amend the High Seas Driftnet Fishing Moratorium Protection Act and the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act to improve the conservation of sharks. I understand the importance of protecting species at risk. Losing even one animal species can set in motion chain reactions harmful to us all. As this issue comes before the Senate, be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

I appreciate the time that you have taken to be involved and informed about this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jon Tester
United States Senator

That is awesome!
All I got was a form letter in response it actually sounds like he read your email!!!

Thank you very much for contacting me to express your views. I have received your letter and I look forward to our correspondence.

The constituents of Illinois are of the utmost importance to me, and it is an honor to work on your behalf by representing you in the United States Senate.

If you have any further questions as my staff and I review your letter, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, DC office. Again, thank you and I am honored to serve you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Roland W. Burris
United States Senator

:O! GUYS!!! thats AWESOME! :D

I haven't heard anything yet from mine (prolly wont either :l) but thats an awesome thing to see!! woo for your senators! :D

Heres what Saxby had to say:
Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts regarding H.R. 81, the "Shark Conservation Act of 2009." I appreciate hearing from you.

H.R. 81 passed the House on March 2, 2009, and was referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. This bill, if enacted, would provide additional protection for sharks as well as specifically prohibit certain activities associated with shark finning.

Should this legislation come before the full Senate for consideration, I will keep your comments in mind.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please let me know

Dear Mr. [censored :squint:]:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the treatment of animals. I appreciate hearing your views on this important issue.

Throughout my tenure in Congress, I have actively worked to ensure that animals are treated in a humane manner, and I continue to support significant animal welfare legislation. As Chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, which has jurisdiction over the Endangered Species Act, I am also consistently one of the strongest advocates for maintaining and strengthening the Act to provide maximum protection for endangered wildlife.

I am very proud of successful legislative efforts to safeguard animals. I co-sponsored the Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act, which was signed into law on May 3, 2007, to strengthen the penalties for illegal animal fighting by making such crimes a felony. Most recently, my Senate colleagues and I unanimously passed Senate Resolution 84, which urges the Government of Canada to end its annual commercial seal hunt.

I have previously co-sponsored other bills that sought to protect animals. Among these were the Downed Animal and Food Safety Protection Act, which would have ensured that all farm animals be humanely euthanized once they are unable to walk; the Pet Safety and Protection Act, which would have required that research institutions purchase and test dogs and cats only from a list of approved sources that treat animals humanely; and the Polar Bear Protection Act, which would have prohibited hunters from importing polar bear trophies and encouraged international collaboration to save the species.

Rest assured that I will keep working to enact important legislation to promote the humane treatment of animals and ensure animal welfare.

Thank you again for writing to me about protecting animals. Please contact me again in the future about this or other issues of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

Please do not respond to this message. If you would like to comment on legislation, please visit my website and use the correspondence form at https://boxer.senate.gov/contact/email/policy.cfm

Yeah, I also haven't received any response from McCain or Kyl. Nor do I expect one. They are two senators that I don't think really do much for their state.

Well obviously:

"I am very proud of successful legislative efforts to safeguard animals. I co-sponsored the Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act, which was signed into law on May 3, 2007, to strengthen the penalties for illegal animal fighting by making such crimes a felony."

Because there is nothing that harms the shark population than those damn shark fights that fishermen like to hold and gamble on :lol:

I'll be damned, I actually got a letter back from my other senator too; what's more, it actually looks like someone even read this one....She must have AIDS :mrgreen:

From Ms. Feinstein:

Dear Mr. [censored :squint:]:

I received your letter expressing your concerns about shark finning. I appreciate the time you took to write and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Like you, I am concerned about the protection of sharks and I understand your concerns about the practice of finning, in which only the shark's fin is harvested and the rest of the body is wastefully tossed back to sea.

On April 22, 2009, Senator John Kerry (D-MA) introduced the "Shark Conservation Act of 2009" (S. 850). This bill amends the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery and Conservation Management Act to prohibit the acts of removing any shark fin at sea or transporting a fin unless it is naturally attached to the shark carcass. It also directs the U.S. Secretary of Commerce to track nations which have not adopted shark conservation plans similar to the United States and whose fishing fleets target sharks. You may be interested to learn that a companion bill, H.R. 81, was introduced in the House by Representative Madeleine Bordallo (D-Guam) on March 3, 2009.

S. 850 was referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation for further review. Although I am not a member of this committee, please know that I oppose the cruel practice of shark finning and will be sure to keep your concerns in mind should this bill come before the full Senate.

Once again, thank you for writing. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/. You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list at .: United States Senator Dianne Feinstein, California :: E-Newsletter Signup :..

Kyl and McCain are probably sitting there thinking, "We don't have Sharks in the middle of the desert do we?" :lol:

Got a reply from Illinois other Senator!!!
Sounds less form letter-ish so that is probably why it took so long to get a response

Dear Mr. [censored:squint:](You guys will never know my name!!!!:mrgreen:)

Thank you for contacting me regarding the practice of shark finning. I appreciate hearing from you.

I share your concern about the importance of protecting sharks. These animals face many threats in their environment, the most serious of which is shark finning. This practice has reduced the shark population and may adversely affect the ecological health of our oceans.

The Shark Conservation Act of 2009 (S. 850) would prohibit the possession of shark fins, which are not naturally attached to the corresponding carcass. Similar legislation was approved by the House of Representatives earlier this year. This measure has been referred to the Senate Commerce Committee. Although I am not a member of this committee, I will keep your views in mind in case S. 850 is considered by the full Senate.

Again, thank you for your message. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin

United States Senator

RJD/hw

Back