Help! Something is wrong with my Anemone

charlesp123

charlesp123
My Lil guy was doing fine for the last week that I have had him. In the last hour I found him like this and all of his muck was scattered all over my reef like his brains were blown out =(... He doesn't look well at all and actually already looks dead. Im hoping that just maybe he/she is spawning eggs possibly or its the sad truth. To the right is is where he spent all his time between the rocks.
charlesp123-albums-anemone-picture2275-20130510-180212.jpg

charlesp123-albums-anemone-picture2276-20130510-180226.jpg

Last edited:
Check water params etc and get back with us, he looks upset and stressed and apparently moving to a new spot. I see the tank is new, are you sure the aquarium was prepared for him?

Salinity---------1.0245
Nitrate----------10ppm
Nitrite------------0ppm
Ammonia-------0.5ppm
PH----------------8.0
Temperature--80

Recently 3 days ago I received a shipment of reef cleaners that ate all of the algae in the reef too

As far as the Anemone, I have tired to feed him before. The LFS told me to feed him a frozen silversides...... they are 2" long, obviously it didn't work he spit it out. then i tried to feed him about a 1/4" piece and he still spit that out as well. He should be fine as he gets most of his energy from the light and im sure he catches floating cyclop-eeze

:bowdown:Two hours later and he is looking better, I read that they expel waste :pooh: and shrivel up :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

It is recommended to wait a year before adding a nem and even then, Sebae Anemones are very hard to keep even for experienced reefers with pristine water conditions. They will not tolerate nitrates being at 10 or even 5. If I were you I would try to return it for store credit and save yourself a tank nuking if it dies.
I also hope your getting a false ammonia reading. You should be at zero.

Just couple things, like Cathic said your tank is very young and isn't really suited for an anemone yet that and you've got one of the more difficult species there. You're nitrates are high for that type, they don't handle it well. From your pic it doesn't seem like it had its foot planted which means its not happy or doing well (it's also not going to eat while its foot is like that). A full silverside is way to much to feed it if you're going to, if you do feel a need to feed it a couple mysis shrimp or something similar is all it takes. And finally, from the pictures, it looks like your nem is yellow in color. Is it? If so it means that it's been dyed to make it prettier but it's also a death sentence for the anemone.

I never seen one poop a web before? Usually it would be a brown turd, or a liquid dust. Sorry for my language, thats how i explain. Dont touch him yet, obviously hes not happy but hes not completely folded in. If he did fall onto your substrate from your lr, that would mean his foot is no longer holding, and hes in the process of dying. Q- is your protein skimmer working overtime?

You guys wanna know why my LFS is a POS..... I went in there figuring things would be a little bit more expensive and even so had them pick out my entire setup for me... BIG$$$ after later researching each item they sold me (I was sore from the overpricing). I just figured that I would used that over payment as acquiring their expertise and advice. After a couple weeks and several water samples that I would regularly bring in for them to check, I asked about coral and fish. For the coral I was told by one younger guy that I should wait at least 2 months, then soon enough the long lived store owner came and told me NO you are good for Coral, water samples look good! So of course the old owner guy who seemed smart and...old... and should be smart, turns out that he just wants money out of me. At that point I bought a nice amount of coral. I also bought a $25 small ocellaris clownfish from them. Few days later I came back and bought my Anemone after talking with them for 20mins about them, sure it was ok..... I feel like a complete moron on this and other forums as I have a saltwater tank full of Coral, a couple Fish, live rock with barely and purple on it, Not even a protein skimmer.

Here is all my Saltwater tank, less than 3 weeks old
charlesp123-albums-now-5-10-13-picture2281-20130510-202929.jpg

charlesp123-albums-now-5-10-13-picture2282-20130510-202934.jpg

charlesp123-albums-now-5-10-13-picture2283-20130510-202943.jpg

charlesp123-albums-now-5-10-13-picture2284-20130510-203032.jpg

charlesp123-albums-now-5-10-13-picture2285-20130510-203124.jpg

charlesp123-albums-now-5-10-13-picture2286-20130510-203200.jpg

i will add i dont think you have enough light in you tank for that nem i have 216w 4 bulb light and have been told that i dont have enough light for a nen take there advice and get it out or you could loose everything in you tank and thats not something you want

Slooooooowwwwwwww down:mrgreen: There are some good LFS's out there and more really bad ones as you are figuring out.

A dyed anemone is not necessarily a death sentence. However in a new tank like yours it most likely is doomed. As stated by others sabaes are very difficult and should only be attempted by experienced aquarists. Taking it back if possible will be your best option.

This site is a good source along with others so research before purchasing any livestock even though impulse buys are sometimes very difficult to avoid. We have all made mistakes in this hobby so learn from yours and use this experience to make you a better aquarist. Good luck!

P.S. An anemone won't nuke your tank BUT if it dies in the tank and is left long enough it could cause an ammonia spike which could cause serious problems.

Last edited:
Youll find out that most LFS are 1 of 2 ways. Either A they are in the hobby and know the hobby well and care about their livestock and customers, or B they are running a business for as much $$ as possible.

Find some of the Type A ones.

SaltforBrains- I know there are good LFS out there, I am just appalled at this store owner. I grew up here too and he has been there for 20 years. I def am going to go to there store tomorrow and talk to them about rushing me into all of these corals and the live stock in my tank. I have grown attached to the corals fish and anemone in a short time. and to find out that they are most likely doomed is not the feeling I paid all this money for

Ive seen some stores too who dont run protein skimmers and dont to waterchanges on tanks properly. I dont believe in their ways, but its their store. Im sorry for whats happening, i really love your toad stool. They believe that protein skimmers take out good product too, ie cal. And mag. This is true to a point, but they do so much more good than reduction of your levels. This is why you want to monitor you perameters and become more "knowledgable" with your set up. The reason you wait is so you can be more aware of your tank and its life, to be able to make the right adjusments. By all means, dont be upset with yourself, we all make mistakes. Good luck with you adventure, its a learning cure and sometimes it costs money.

SaltforBrains- I know there are good LFS out there, I am just appalled at this store owner. I grew up here too and he has been there for 20 years. I def am going to go to there store tomorrow and talk to them about rushing me into all of these corals and the live stock in my tank. I have grown attached to the corals fish and anemone in a short time. and to find out that they are most likely doomed is not the feeling I paid all this money for

I would like to add that it is not only about the money you spent but about the life you could potentially lose.

Take everything anyone says with a grain of salt. Do your own research and slow down. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

I would like to add that it is not only about the money you spent but about the life you could potentially lose.

Take everything anyone says with a grain of salt. Do your own research and slow down. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Yes, that is more the point I was getting at. I care about the living animals like a pet and I was meaning to say was that for the money I wish the advice was alot better. That was why I am upset with the store. I always do my own research and build my own projects.. this was probably the first time I just put my trust into someone else doing the work for me.... oh man I sound like my dad which I hate how he doesn't trust anyone else either lol

You're fine to have coral and the rocks will colour up in time. Those fish were added too fast, you should've waited at least 2-4 weeks for the first and another 2-4 for the second. Fortunately, those are both tougher fish so as long as they eat, they'll be fine. I would take that anemone back with your newfound knowledge and find a skimmer for your tank. One up to 50 gallons would be good. Good luck and make sure to take your time.

Back