HELP SOS SOS! Skimmer problem!

Okay guys, I feel like I am having a "Where's your sign" stupid moment big time here. I bought a AquaEuroUSA HOB skimmer. I don't know what I got hooked up wrong, but when I plug it in it, it fills up then overflows all over my floor.

Where is it leaking from? The collection cup? Try raising that as high as it goes. Also, try adjusting the air intake. It can take weeks for a skimmer to settle down and break in.

Can you post pictures of the skimmer?
And does it say what model it is?

Is the water overflowing from the collection cup? or from the return chamber?

Holy crap was I in panic mode! I think I got it all working although obviously by my original post, I am just hoping I do. I am not good with all this fancy equipment and how it works. I get what the end result of it does, but when it comes to making it work or troubleshooting I feel like I am clueless.
It was overflowing from the return chamber and my light fixture was close enough that the cord got a little wet and lights started zapping and crackling. I about crapped my pants! I thought for sure I either killed my light or was gonna die from a zap myself. Everything seems to be working now okay. Note to self, unplug stuff next time.
I raised the collection cup until I got it going then lowered it back down. Also, the air hose wasn't connected into the pump. The pump has a snap on cover and when I took it off the hose was just dangling in there so basically I had no air intake. I wondered why it wasn't bubbling at first, just filling up with water and overflowing.
I don't see a knob to turn to adjust anything and I'm not sure what you mean by gate valve.
Here's what I got AquaEuroUSA Hang On Back Protein Skimmer AEBH100 - AquaEuroUSA
I am sick to my stomach now over it hoping I got a decent skimmer, because I bought it kind of impulsively. I stopped at this LFS place I found about an hour and a half away where I travel for work sometimes. The same place where the lady said I want nitrates between 20-40. The owner helped me today and was super helpful. The nitrate lady is his wife and a ding dong. Anyways, I got the feeling he was genuinly trying to help me from our discussions and this is the skimmer he recommended. It wasn't his cheapest, but definitely not the most expensive either. I am just hoping I don't have buyer's remorse especially after what I just went through to get this thing going. I was not thrilled with the idea of hanging something on side of tank so I moved my tank another 3 inches from wall to make room. Ginger, Benny, and the CUC were like WTF when I emptied that much water out to move it.

Yikes, you might want to stay clear from that store. Bad advice bad products, tbh, it just sounds like they want your money and a lot of it.

As caring as they sound, they just want to make money.

my light fixture was close enough that the cord got a little wet and lights started zapping and crackling
Yikes! Not good in any scenario.

When testing new equipment, I try to first plug it into its own powerstrip that has an on/off switch. And I set it at a place where I can reach it immediately.
This saves me from having to dive into the under-tank cabinet and unplug the cables.

With HOB skimmers in particular, I test it first outside hanging from a plastic bin and run it for a few minutes to make sure that I locked the fittings in properly and there are no leaks.

Your skimmer looks like it was modeled after the Reef Octopus. But your return pipe looks smaller compared to the Reef Octopus design.
This could mean that if the water intake volume is high enough, it could overwhelm the return pipe and the return chamber could overflow.
In your case, not having the air intake hooked up meant that the pump was pumping 100% water and that could have exceeded the return pipe's capacity.
The return pipe only has gravity on its side. The intake uses a pump designed to defy gravity :)

Even the Reef Octopus (BH1000 and BH100) can overflow at the return chamber if the air intake is clogged.

What would be a nice enhancement to these products is somehow have an overflow channel on top of the return chamber so that any overflow will flow back into the aquarium instead of the floor.

I googled the skimmer model that you have and it looks like in terms of price it is just a tad under the price for a Reef Octopus BH1000.

Also, with this type of skimmer design you do not get to control the amount of air intake. They are designed to operate with the airline 100% open.
The way you tune the skimmer is by raising or lowering the collection cup so that the skimmate is at the consistency that you want.
The rubber band is what you would use to hold the collection cup in place.
The Reef Octopus also has a screw on one side to help lock the collection cup in place. I could not tell if your skimmer has that same lock screw.

That's why you should have all tank equipment plugged into a GFCI outlet. It would have gotten wet, and shut off power before you would have even noticed any sparks and zapping. :twocents:

But glad you figured out the problem.

It was 150, a liitle less than a reef octopus and it looks to be the same style as those. I've been searching forums including old posts here and I haven't come across any really bad input on these skimmers. I think I feel better about my purchase today. It was just a bad experience getting it going, but can't blame anyone but myself for that. When you say skimmate, are you referring to the bubbles coming up through the cylinder. I have cup set so they are coming up about halfway. The cup does have a screw to secure it in place. One thing that concerns me is as of about 2 hours ago, I had 1/2 inch in cup since last night and now all of a sudden I had to empty it because the whole cup was like 3/4 full. I know they take at least a few day to be broken in, but that makes me afraid to run it when I'm not home for fear of an overflow.

I have not heard anything good about those skimmers, and I have not heard anything bad about them. I have never heard about them. :D

It will take about a week to break it in. So during that time, don't worry about getting skimmate in the collection cup. I would jack the collection cup up to the highest it can go to prevent a flood. Then just leave it alone and let it run. In a week, it should be broken in, and then make adjustments to collect skimmate in the cup.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm getting too. No bad info, no good info, just kind of neutral info. People have them and that's all I get. Maybe I'll be the 1st to review on it. I will raise the cup as high as it gies then.

Back