HELP- What do you guys think about this guys methods??

ironnie7i

Reefing newb
TNT SALTWATER AQUARIUMS

This is the guy who did my system and "swears" his ways are better than anyone. As you will read in all his sections, he claims to be one of the "best" saltwater stores ever. He has all his business from home.

The reason why im asking is because I think he may be shafting me "BS" that will work. Honestly, I want to do things from the beginning by myself like most people here do. This guy set up my system. These are the things he told me I must do to my reef system.

- He does a 50% water change once a month
- Dose Reef Complete, Reef Plus and Kent Ph Buffer 3 times a week.
- Top off with RODI water when evaporates.
- Feed 3 times a week.
- must have 2 lbs per gallon in my 55.

So guys, the reason why I am asking is because I really dont know what to do. If either continue with him or sell everything back to him and start my own aquarium from scratch?

Since it's already up and running, just take over maintenance yourself, which is more enjoyable. If you should have any future questions or need help, we're here to help.

sweet thanks smitty. I guess Im gonna need to go out and get a RODI system, some tanks for rodi water and saltwater mix and everything pretty much. lol

Most of what he says is sound. The feeding 3 times a week, the topping off with fresh water, the 2 lbs of live rock per gallon... All of that are good practices. A 50% water change once a month sounds like a lot, but most of us recommend 10 to 20% each week, so that adds up to about the same. As for the dosing, you should only have to dose if it's necessary, and you'd know that by testing your water parameters yourself. If the tank needs it, dose. If not, leave it alone.

Nothing he's saying is wrong or out there. But if you are paying someone to do all that for you, then there's no reason why you can't just take over and start doing it yourself for free.

ok, thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure everything he was saying was correct. like I said, he claims that his methods are better than anyone else's.

+1 Biff, he's not doing anything any other successful reefer doesn't do. Like Biff said..the only thing different is the frequency of the water changes. I personally do 20% a week.

You can do 50% each month, but that's a lot of water... It's probably easier to break it down into more manageable amounts.

I do 50% once a month and my tank is fine. Sometimes I do need to get a 20% half way thru the month. If you do a 50%, then the temp and salinity must match precisely!

I can't imagine trying to do a 50% change every month with my tank.... all my tables and so forth would have to become water storage containers. Hahaha, that's a funny image.

Biff has you covered

Back