help with coral selection

FNG44601

Reefing newb
As some of you may remember I've been conducting an experiment with a porcupine puffer. Not to jinx anything but everything's going pretty sweet. We've trained this guy to eat on the left side of the tank off of a skewer stick- he only eats his food. His tankmates are a pygmy angel, banggai cardinal, 2 clowns, 4 stripe damsel, coral banded shrimp, emerald crabs, turbos, hermits etc.... Been this way for approx 3-4 months with no fin nipping, aggression or casualties.
So now I'm looking for an easy to care for- larger species coral. One that likes a high flow rate as I plan to use a powerhead as a last line of defense should the puffer want to make a move.

Maybe a leather toadstool coral.Porcupines don't really eat corals or do they?It was only other small fish,crustaceans and snails I thought.You have small fish,snails and crustaceans so that throws the book out the window.

Maybe a leather toadstool coral.Porcupines don't really eat corals or do they?It was only other small fish,crustaceans and snails I thought.You have small fish,snails and crustaceans so that throws the book out the window.

I read they may nip at them- but clearly the bigger threat is to the inverts and fish. He is by far the biggest thing in the tank. I did a couple of things- one is I bought bigger snails and crabs. Some of the smaller ones took losses in the beginning but after I bought new bigger crabs and snails no problems. I put a piece of Stylophora skeleton in to kind of provide a real shelter for the smaller guys and since then, not a single catastrophe.

So I think a little planning and time for everyone to get used to each other can re write the book sometimes!

So the next step is the corals- gonna try one first see if we've got any luck from there.
Thanks u guys for the suggestions- gonna research em and I'll let u guys know what happens!

I have a porcupine puffer that lives in a reef tank with no problems either. He is the biggest fish and doesn't even mess with my baby snails or my shrimp. He is trained as well. He will only eat out of my net. So EVERYTIME I feed him I have to stick the net in. Crazy thing is. I can pick the net up on the otherside of the room and when I look at the tank, he looks like he is going to swim through the glass he is swimming so hard. Kind of funny how he response when he see's the net. I think you will be ok. I took a chance and not 1 coral has been touched.

Back