Help with fish food (amount, type, when, etc.)

Donna

Reefing newb
hello....I am BRAND NEW to this....REALLY BRAND NEW...(please keep that in mind.....:unsure:). Anyway, I have a brand new biocube...JUST put my first fish in it on April 16th (clownfish). At this point, I have 2 clownfish, a sea anemone (bubbletip), and 14 hermit crabs. So far, things are looking ok, however, I want them to stay that way. I want to make sure that I'm correctly feeding everything that's in there. So, I have a few questions...:

1. What food is best for clownfish?
2. How often should I be feeding them?
3. How much should I be giving each time?
4. What/how do I feed a sea anemone?
5. What signs should I be watching for in order to fix feeding issues early?

Thanks so much!!!

Clownfish are ominivores so a mixed diet would be best. If you are looking for an all in one food source that is also fairly clean (not a lot of nasty fillers that gunk up your tank) then frozen LRS Reef Frenzy is about as good as it gets:
As for how often you should be feeding them I would say one or two small feedings a day (generally it is recommended to only feed about as much as your fish can consume in a 2 minute period). I would say that for your size tank a mashed up 1/8 inch cube once or twice a day would take care of a pair of clowns. You might also periodically supplement with something a little more green (ie a couple of times a week feed them some frozen spirulina formula). Here is a vid on the LRS Reef Frenzy and you can see everything that it has in it:

For the record I feed my 90 gallon reef frenzy almost exclusively and my corals, fish and inverts love it:

Here is a vid of my fish feeding with Reef Frenzy (my Melanurus Wrasse is an absolute pig):

Thanks, it has been a real labor of love and expense. I have a couple of new additions in quarantine right now (Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel) and a Leopard Wrasse on order. Tank should be stunning once it is all done. Incidentally I did have a snowflake occ clownfish in my old 36 gallon bowfront and it definitely like reef frenzy and the occasional frozen spirulina formula. I had to get rid of it though as the little butthead thought the entire 36 gallon tank was all his.

Here is the mix I had in my 36 gallon while I had it (you may notice at one point my wrasse gave it a reminder nip as the day prior it beat up the clownfish really good to put the bugger in check):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH0-4pS-EKI82WqeeWOrvdQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

GD! I really like how you set up the rock in your tanks....mine don't look as good as yours....I may just have to do some copycat stuff....hopefully you're cool with that.

So, maybe you can help me with something else...

What other type of fish should/could I add with my clownfish? I like wrasse and cardinalfish, but the guy that works at the fish store told me I can't put them together in my tank because they won't get along (but on my drive home, I realized he showed me the only wrasse he had...which was in a tank of cardinalfish, so......???). I did add an Orchid Dottyback, and she looks like she is doing well with the 2 clowns...

any suggestions??

What size is your biocube? There is such a thing as a Possum or Pygmy Wrasse (The Pink Streaked would probably be the best as it will be less shy).

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+2908&pcatid=2908

Honestly the picture doesn't do it justice. Above all though don't be suckered in by the 6 line wrasse. Those can be unholy terrors. Plenty of people with 100+ gallon setups that have had to remove them because they snapped one day and went on a killing spree. The clownfish will be territorial/semi-aggressive at some point to some extent, so just be aware of that (no such thing as a peaceful clownfish no matter what sites claim). With the pair of clowns and the Orchid in there I would probably limit it to about one more fish given the fact that you have a small tank. If you do go with a Cardinalfish you can go with the Pajama Cardinalfish as it has more color and they basically just hang out and don't bother anyone. I have one in my 90 and it has been a great fish (should be seen in the video). My Wrasse flashed it's fins at it for a little while when it first got in the tank but that's about the only aggression I have seen (other than feeding of course as the wrasse is a super aggressive feeder).

it's a 32 gallon biocube. It's really cool and the lights are so bright.....it's beautiful. However, the rocks that are in there are just about the same color as the sand, so it's a little "vanilla". I love the way yours look. Not a lot of crazy bright colors, but a great mixture of the color of the rocks and the colors of the fish...plus, you have the rocks placed really great....pat on the back, kind sir....pat on the back.

it's a 32 gallon biocube. It's really cool and the lights are so bright.....it's beautiful. However, the rocks that are in there are just about the same color as the sand, so it's a little "vanilla". I love the way yours look. Not a lot of crazy bright colors, but a great mixture of the color of the rocks and the colors of the fish...plus, you have the rocks placed really great....pat on the back, kind sir....pat on the back.

I wish I could take credit for it. My rocks are the Caribsea Life Rock, which is colored that way out of the box and my wife actually assembled the rock work on both of my tanks (she is much better at puzzles than I am).

https://caribsea.com/aquarium/#marine-rocks-and-more

Back