Help with Lights...and setup!

BlueSi4

Reefing newb
Alright guys/girls, as many of you know i've recently got a 75G RR and came with a DIY 250W Metal Halide with a homemade ballast. It's a big and ugly box, and the connections don't seem that good, as well as the ballast is not even covered or anything. I'm trying to run this as little as possible, but i need to do something...quick.
I'm planning on keeping all kinds of corals, so i deff need some good halides. I was thinking on doing 2 175W with either 2 or 4 actinic bulbs to add some color. Would 2 175W MH be enough light for my tank? Or should i go for 2 250W?

Also, i'm going to be doing a retrofit, buy all the pieces separate and put it together myself, what do you recommend as far as halides, ballasts, and reflectors?

I would go with the 250 watters.The 175 watter will probably be enough but there really isn't much of a price difference between the two.I believe two 250w is only around $30 more.I recommend Icecap ballast and reflectors.They get rave reviews every website I visit.Reeflux,XM,Ushio,Hamilton all make excellent MH bulbs.

Give these guys a call at Reefgeek.com.They are really knowledgeable and helpful.......http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Metal_Halide/IceCap/

Haha :bowdown:

The thing is, my parents were cool with me upgrading as long as the electricity cost was close to what it was with the 46, so if i can cut power consumption a bit in a few different areas, that might be good. I currently have 1 250W and it lights up the tank nicely, so i'm thinking that with 2 175W it should be good enough, and if i add the actinics to go with it, i should be fine...but that's just my opinion, i only had T5's before.

if my calculations are correct there will be 75 watts difference in power consumption. :mrgreen:

I used 2 175's with the DIY core & coil ballast on my 75. My 125 has 3 175's and I used the same 2 ballasts plus bought an f-can ballast for the 3rd. IMO, you don't need 250's for the depth of a 75. More power consumption and more heat.

If you are worried about the energy, why don't you use t5s with individual reflectors. I have heard that you can grow almost anything under t5s.

So just to let you know, i did go with 2-175W XM 20,000K bulbs and 2 reef creations ballasts. Here's the pics

DSC01855.jpg

Hey Blue what did you do with old setup? Might know a guy that would be interested in it if you still have it.

So i finally found a way to install the lights that doesn't involve having to attach them to the ceiling. It's got enough clearance where i can put any rock in and out, pull any kind of equipment without having to remove the lights, and reach the bottom of the tank without a problem. We'll see how the corals do.

DSC01873.jpg

Back