Help with my maroon clown fish

To defend myself, yes the cycle is in the water!!! it may take live rock and fish poop to start the cycle and maintain it but the water is what your cycling, granted once you remove the water from the main tank where the "CYCLE" is going on the water will start to lose some of the "cycle" components unless there is something in the Qt tank to keep the cycle going.
All that aside it really doesnt matter for one week either way, shoot you could keep that clown in freshwater for a week and hed be fine:D
Good luck

:mrgreen: well anthony and brandon, I do water changes at least once a month. and funny how my tank always seems to be growing and looking awesome. As for the cycle what the heck does that have to do with water changes? water changes is to replenish trace elements that are depleted and pulled out by skimmers, and to help reduce the amount of crap in the water. I dont see what that has to do with a cycle.
Anyway Im done arguing were all probly right anyway!:mrgreen:

Well I did approx 1.5-2 gallon water change on my 10 gallon QT. The eye is getting better. The swelling has gone down by approx 70%. So overall I think all is well in the QT. The ammonia and nitrate levels are staying low. I would agree, everyone is right. The cycle is in the water and the beneficial bacteria is also in the rock and sand. Everyone's tank looks great and we wll like each other a lot, blah,blah,blah.

Can't we all just get along???!!!!

Thanks again everyone

we will never agree!

Everyone has different opinions, methods, and even strive for different results.

If I was going to setup a new tank and I had my choice between:

Cured Live Rock and all fresh made water.

or

100% Cycled water from an established tank and lace rock.

I would pick the second. just my 2 cents. since we managed to get off topic.

good to hear about the fish pat.

Sorry to get defensive about the cycle and I could be wrong! Seeing as how I havent had to cycle a tank in 5 years cause my tank does so well I dont have problems!!! I can see how people who dont know how to take proper care of a tank and are constantly having to start over, probly know more about cycling than me So there you have it, Im underqualified.:mrgreen: Love you guys.

I wasn't arguing and you actually proved my point Ironman. We change water to pull out the crappy water that is in the system. One more thing...I don't know if that slam was aimed at me or not, but I haven't had to tear down my tank since I started it two years ago. So I guess we are both underqualified. My stance is not to use fresh water to start a system. I think we all agree that water from the main established tank is better, even though crap is in it, if for no other reason than the salinity and pH being correct. My stance is the fact the water alone will not support bioload from a fish. The rock, sand and filter media that contain the majority of the bacteria will. There will be cycling due to that fact.

Yeh I don't understand why some people have such a problem with a tank cycling. When I started my 75 I started out with approx 30 lbs of LR and 60 lbs of LS. I never saw an ammonia,nitrate or nitrite spike. Levels remained very low. But I have read on this forum and on RC about people who have huge spikes that last quite some time. And then like you said Bryan you can see people who have another cycle after the tank should be established. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with basic husbandry. Trying not to grossly overfeed, keeping water parameters in check, not adding a bunch of fish at once, making slow adjustments, etc. I see people struggling with there tanks and it makes feel lucky and thankful my reef experience has gone as well as it has ( quickly knocks on wood!!). And now I know that a QT will not start cycling within a week if you use established water from the main system. I hope I will not have to use one again but something tells me that I will at some point in the future.

Nemo is getting better - I do not think the infection will be completely gone by tomorrow though so he may have to stay in the QT for an extended visit. I want to make sure the infection is gone before introducing nemo back into the main tank.

So Brandon do you feel like you have a bunch of space now on your sand bed without the clam? Do you have plans for that newly freed up piece of real estate?

Well I guess I could move in my four microscopic zoanthids that I recently purchased. 4 polyps and a nice sum of money later was suppose to look like these but hell I can't even see them.

d4_1.JPG

I just need to stick with Cap Bay.

A piece of *(&^.

I'm very very dissappointed... the whole polyp is no bigger than this asterics * I'm not joking.

Just have to wait and see, but for now I'm very dissapointed especially at 20 a polyp plus 35$ shipping.

Oh well win some loose some.

Back on topic Brandon! GEEEESH!! Remember Nemo....

Anyway, I know about cycling because I am all knowing and am a Reef God. Thanks.

LOL I was wondering when someone would say something and DING, DING, DING, you WIN!!

You win a beautiful frag of Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear!!

Back