help with my setup

andytt11

Reefing newb
hello all, i went to petco and bought a freshwater tank kit for 75 bucks. it came with everything for a good freshwater setup.problem is i want a saltwater setup. can anyone point me in the right direction as what to get. here is a photo of my setup right now

photo.php

Last edited:
Get yourself a copy of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. To give you pointers as to what other gear you'll need, you'll need to list what you actually have.

For starters, you'll need salt mix and some sort of aragonite sand, as well as 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon. You could also use some base rock and some live rock to save some funds for other gear

My picture didn't work. I have the salt water already mixed its a reversed osmosis water with sea salt at 1.026 and i also have crushed coral for my aggregate. it has 6 pounds of live rock in it now just waiting to add more

Hello and Welcome!

You should get rid of the crushed coral while its still easy. It will trap poop, uneaten food, and other gunk which will decay and release nitrates back into the water, which will kill corals and inverts. Plus it is very damaging to the gills of any sand sifting fish if you end up owing one.

You can also add dry rock (a whole ton cheaper) and just a few lbs of live. The rest will turn live in no time flat. All live rock means is that it has a population of bacteria living on it that can process wastes into less toxic compounds. Here is a great place to buy cheap dry rock: Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available

Also, good for you for starting with RO/DI water. It will save you so much headaches! Keep on using it!

Also, the rules for a saltwater tank are different than a freshwater one. You can only have one small fish for every 10 gallons. Also many fish need to live in a certain size tank, or they are prone to stressing out and dying. For example, tangs and triggers need to be kept in a tank that is at least 6 feet long so that they have enough swimming room. You also need to wait at least 3 weeks between additions so that the bacteria can grow to handle the new waste load

Here are some articles you should read:
https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html

Those freshwater kits are good deals, even if you are converting them to saltwater. My first tank was the 55 gallon kit from Walmart!

Did it come with a heater? If so, you will need that. The lights it comes with will be fine for now, if you have fish only. You will have to upgrade lights down the road if you plan on keeping photosynthetic animals such as corals, clams and anemones.

well thanks everyone for the info. the kit i got was mainly a growing tank for freshwater plants.it came with a heater,light and a filtration device but from what i have been reading the filter is not a good idea with saltwater due to the nitrate buildup.

Back