help with new sump and filtration

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
I have an empty 50gal breader that I would like to convert into a sump for the 165gal reef that I am setting up.

Is a 600GPH CPR overflow sufficient, and is a supreme mag drive #7(550gph@5ft) as a return acceptable? This is my first sump setup and I want to get it right.

Also the tank has an in tank overflow filtration system that consists of one 214gph power head, 2 large tubular sponges(6"x24" approx), heater compartment, built in protein skimmer.

Have any of you used this filtration set up before and did it do a good job? Where do I get replacement media? The fish store raved about the filter.
They said the tank is a DAS custom out of Waxihachi(sp).

Any help would be very appreciated as I haven't been able to find out what brand/type of filter this is. :frustrat:I am setting this up as a reef tank. Mostly LPS and softies but would like to start trying some LPS.

Sorry,I've never heard of the tank builder or even heard of built infiltration for tanks that big.

The CPR(600gph) and the Mag7 will work together fine.However,most tanks that size generallly use 1200gph overflows or more.Perhaps a CPR-1200gph overflow box with a Mag12 would be a better choice for that size tank and sump.

this is the filter I was asking about.
DSC00018edit.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the new(to me) tank.
DSC00019edit.jpg
[/IMG]

:Cheers:Thanks for the advice on the overflow and pump. I will look into it.
HD

Can you get a couple of pics of the filtration equipment?
That would help us know more of what you got to work with.

http://www.petstorefixtures.com/H29___H39_Drawings___Instructions_JPG.pdf

This link is the exact filter that I have:bounce:. I have been trying a hundred ways to find this on the internet and that led me to this forum.
Anyways..... has anyone ever used this type of setup??? It was refered to as "old school" by one Q&A site but they gave no specifics about the filter. I bought this at Dallas North Aquarium and they said it was a very good and efficient filter.

I still would like to add a 50 sump. I like the idea of the CPR1200 with the larger magdrive pump. Do I have any other options? I know stupid aquarium question. There is always another option.

That's just a very weird setup to me.It's a built in overflow chamber to bring water to back chamber/filtration equipment than it returns back to the display.From what I understand,it is basically a canister/internal filter to run different media and a counter-current skimmer,which by the way is outdated and very old school(you're right about that).

Honestly,I wouldn't even bother with it myself and go with what you wanted to do,by adding a sump(hopefully a good skimmer too.).If possible,drilling holes at the bottom of the overflow chamber,add bulkheads and durso standpipes.Water flows to the back chamber and then drains to the sump.If the tank can't be drilled than go with the CPR box,instead.

Back