Help with overflow filter!

stringztoo

Reefing newb
So I'm not actually new to reefing... but I saw this was the largest viewed forum so I threw it in here.

Let me preface by saying this setup has beenfine since I set it up in January... all I did was clean off some caluerpa forming near the pipe this morning.

As you can see from the pic I attached I have a pre-drilled 72g with an overflow pipe. At the top of the left pipe there are two small holes drilled into the top for (I guess) ventilation and aiding in the suction of water down to the refugium. You can't seem them because of the flash but they are there. I noticed after cleaning the algae off, that water started rising... and keep rising. The return flow down below has waterflow coming down into the refugium but it must not be enough??? Why, I don't know. Every time I unplug the eHeim return pump to let the water set, then start it back up, the water keeps rising. It IS suctioning water, buit all of a sudden it's not suctioning as much as before?

When I set this tank up the first time all I did was plug in the return pump, let the water rise to the drain pipe and everything was fine. Now... not so much. Help!

Attachments

• DSC00496.jpg
    DSC00496.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 620
  • DSC00495.jpg
    DSC00495.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 437
just a guess, but maybe you freed up some of the slots and water is able to pour into the overflow faster?

Or maybe you unplugged those holes and broke a syphon that had formed?

Not 100% since I dont run an overflow like that one.

Well there's my answer. One of my stupid ass hermit crabs decided to go on the adventure of a lifetime and climb all the way up the overflow box, over to the suction pipe, and somehow climb down into it, thus clogging it with his stupid shell.

Ugh...

Attachments

• DSC00497.jpg
    DSC00497.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 339
Back