Help with paper

I'm not Hannah, but I can add something to your last set of questions.

Since you know you started with tap water that contaiend nitrates and phosphates I would not rush out and buy a reactor for phosphate removal. You have started using clean water, that should be nitrate and phosphate free.

Take a deep breath, and go back and read Hannah's number one rule to a successful reef. Slow and steady is the ONLY way to win this 'race'. Get several normal water changes under your belt, slow down on the feeding and give it a few weeks and see where your levels are at.

If regular water changes don't bring values under control, look into either a GFO reactor or a Bio Pellet reactor (Bio Pellets cost about the same as GFO, and they scrub nitrates, and some phosphates from the water)

There are many products that claim to 'lock' certain elements and make them 'not harmful'. If the source of the issue has not been addressed these snake oils are completely useless, even if the work as advertised. There are very few quick fixes in this hobby - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is

+1 North

And I guess I would like to add that there are no magical products to solve your problem, and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

You keep asking me for some magic formal on how to build a successful reef and I think you want answers that deal with equipment or chemicals, but that isnt what a successful reef is built on or by. Its build by being educated on what you are doing, working hard (no short cuts of magic formulas), and having a lot of patience.

If you want instant gratification this is not a hobby for you, go buy a nice car instead.

I know there are no magic chemicals or equipment. I keep asking that because thats what my paper is about. I'm attacking the problem with RODI water and chaeto instead of phos lock is because phos lock is just a masking agent. IF it even solves the problem the underlying cause is still there so it will come back I would rather attack that then use a chemical to cover up my problem. I keep coming back to what does it take to be Succesful because that is what my paper is about. I don't need instant gratification I was just trying to stay on topic.

I apologize for the confusion on what you thought I was looking for. Thnk you very much for your help. It was great information not just for my paper but for me as well.

Last edited:
I think you are missing my point that good water quality come from those things I have mentioned, along with healthy corals and fish.

However, I didnt realize your paper was about solving your current water quality issues. Doing water changes with RO/DI water and putting a the macro algae will help with the nitrate problems. Given time and enough water changes, you will be able to get the nitrates under control. One issue you might run into is that the rocks will absorb nitrates and phosphates which will be released once the nitrates in the water column have been removed. So it might take a few months to fully make the nitrates go to zero.

FYI, I already have the sports car for instant gratification. Hahahaha. :P

Now you can't go making a statement like that to a fellow car enthusiast and not mention what it is..... that's a bannable offense as far as I am concerned! (It's a good thing only Hannah has the Ban Sticks! :) )

Back