help with red sea star

mdottyp

Reefing newb
hi i recently posted a thread about my red sea star been on his back, i helped him on his front last night, however this morning i have noticed he has a white milky puss in the middle of his back, and i am not sure if a bit of his skin is flaking, his he dying ? P.S i only bought him an saturday

Sounds like he's dying.Sorry about that.
What are your water parameters and how did you acclimate him?

Yea your right he died, my water paramiters are all good, i check them all last night, and its probs the best ive had them since the tank as been running, i acclimatised him for 25 mins, with the light off. one worry is, will he poisen my tank, he was relesing white puss into the tank, and my wife removed him, other fish seem fine, but still worried

25 minute acclimation?

You got money to burn, or what? :frustrat:

4hrs MINIMUM!!!
what does 25mins acclimation? mean, in my books and advice from my LFS, that is enough time and never had problems with this before so please explane or advice, instead of critisise thanks:grumble:

Well what I have been doing when I can actually afford new things. Is I drip acclimate for at least 2 to 4 hours(depending on what it is). The dang lfs guys around here say float the bag 5 to 10 minutes and do the cup of water every 5 minutes for 30 minutes. I have had much better success doing a drip acclimation. Havent lost anything since I changed before was a crap shoot.

Fish should be acclimated for around an hour. Inverts (like starfish) need much longer acclimation times, like 3 to 4 hours. If your LFS told you to acclimate the animal for 25 minutes, I'm afraid you were misled.

+1 on the dripp acclimation.

I use a length of air line tubing and tie a not in one end. Then put the un knotted end in the tank and pull a siphon on the knotted end. Put that in my acclimation container with the live stock and let it drip for at least an hour maybe more depending on what it is and if I forget..... Then I put it in my tank.

Brian

25 minutes is to short of a time especially for a star. They are very very sensitive to parameter changes.

Brian

Back